Sign in to follow this  
tigerzak

First House

Question

I did my first house today. I have a couple of questions I hope to get some help on. Thw house came out great and the customer was very happy (Mom)

I used an X-jet to wash with a chemical mix of 2 gal 12% 2 gal soap/degreaser a few squirts of Dawn soap. The house is a ranch 80'x25' I ended up using a total of 5 gal of bleach and 5gal of soap. That seems like a lot to me. I may have been to generous lathering up the house.

Another question is the shutters seemed to have faded some. They are brown plastic. Could that be from the bleach mixture? I am not sure if they were faded before I started and they were just more noticable because the house was sparkling.

Any help you coul give me I would greatly appreciate. If someone has a better recipe for house wash I would love to try it.

Thanks

Tiger

10 answers to this question

What was your mixing container? If you were running a 10 gallon container with 5 gal 12%SH and 5 Gal of soap, I'm guessing you were around 6% SH in your mix, Did you use a proportioner with your x-jet? I'm guessing not due to the ammount of chems used? if not at around 1 -1 you were around 3% hitting the house if my math is correct. I've NEVER had to use that high of SH concentration on a house that wasn't FILTHY & not to mention how the plant life likes bleach... Typically 1-1.5% does me fine. And being such a high SH concentrate may explain the shutter issue you had, or you may be correct as when you do clean a house some things show up if they were under dirt/algae/mold etc.. that you didn't notice before.

I would try just playing with your mix until you get it right. Different surfactants, concentrations of SH etc... Just be careful

I did my first house today. I have a couple of questions I hope to get some help on. Thw house came out great and the customer was very happy (Mom)

I used an X-jet to wash with a chemical mix of 2 gal 12% 2 gal soap/degreaser a few squirts of Dawn soap. The house is a ranch 80'x25' I ended up using a total of 5 gal of bleach and 5gal of soap. That seems like a lot to me. I may have been to generous lathering up the house.

Another question is the shutters seemed to have faded some. They are brown plastic. Could that be from the bleach mixture? I am not sure if they were faded before I started and they were just more noticable because the house was sparkling.

Any help you coul give me I would greatly appreciate. If someone has a better recipe for house wash I would love to try it.

Thanks

Tiger

That's about 5 gallons too much. Shoot for 0.75-1% bleach TTW. Sounds like you used no proportioner? If so, use 1 gallon bleach, 1 gallon soap, 3 gallons water.

Just a quick note to maybe prevent you trouble down the road. You said you weren't sure about the fading of the shudders, this type of thing is something you want to take notice of in the future with potential customers. Anytime you go look at a job make sure you take notice and point out to the customer any type of damage, such as cracked windows, holes in siding or faded shudders. Often customers will not even realize they have a cracked window or such and not notice it until they get out and start looking at how their house turned out after you're done. If this stuff is not brought to their attention beforehand they may think you did it. In most cases I wouldn't think a customer would try and pin something on you if they were aware already, but if they wholeheartedly believe you did it then they may want you to fix the issue, like replace or repaint those faded shudders. I might add, take notice of the vegetation and point out any dead or dying plants and/or grass.

Jeff

Thanks for all the responses. I used a 5 gal pail to mix. I used 2 gal bleach 2 gal soap, 1 gal water. I did not use a preportioner. I had to remix the times to finish the house.

as far as the shutters go. it only happened to the 2 windows on the fronts of the house. The rest of the shutters were fine. The 2 on the front are in direct sunlight all day. I think that may be the cause since all the others were fine.

Thanks

Thanks for all the responses. I used a 5 gal pail to mix. I used 2 gal bleach 2 gal soap, 1 gal water. I did not use a preportioner. I had to remix the times to finish the house.

as far as the shutters go. it only happened to the 2 windows on the fronts of the house. The rest of the shutters were fine. The 2 on the front are in direct sunlight all day. I think that may be the cause since all the others were fine.

Thanks

I used that mix when I xjetted but only 1 1/2 gallon soap, two gal 12% and the rest water. I think maybe you just need to apply chem faster sounds like your being too liberal with it.