Sign in to follow this  
tigerzak

House Wash Mix

Question

I have been searching the forums for several weeks now and I have seen as many different recipes as there are people posting. So I guess it comes down to preference.

What confuses me is the bleach ranges from a 1/2 gal to 2 gallons. Do you adjust according to the degree of mold on the house? Also would you use the sdame wash on cedar shingles or painted wood. Not trying to remove or prep for painting but just cleaning.

Looking forward to your answers

Thanks

Tiger

9 answers to this question

You need to take some of the basics from this site and play a little. And starting weaker is better than starting stronger. All of the "recipes" you have seen probably work for whoever posted it, they're gonna vary depending on geographic location and application method. But remember chlorine will mix with only a few other chemicals so be very careful when "playing". As far as painted wood goes, I personally wash it with the same mix I use on vinyl. Good quality paint will clean up very nice. I don't run into Cedar shingles much here in Central PA, so you may want to go over to the wood care and deck forum for that info. My choice for house wash mix is chlorine and sodium hydroxide. Very basic, but also very effective, and no compromises. Although I should mention this mix will not clean the black streaks from gutters, you'll need a butyl based cleaner to remove those.

Jeff

Jeff thanks for the response. I will take your advice and play around a little. I wan't sure if I could use the bleach on paint but you answered that. What are the ratios you use?

Thanks again

I apply my products differently than most here do so I'm not sure if my mixing information will help you much. I run everything through a roller pump so my mix is the final mix. I personally like this method because I have more control of the spray and the mix is very precise because it's pre-mixed. Personal preference is all. As far as the chlorine goes you should need no more than 3% hitting the house, but like I said you'll have to play a little to find what best suits your needs. Not to mention that all jobs are not the same as some may require tweaking your mix to suit the job. My basic mix is 7 gal. 12.5% chlorine, 2 lbs. sodium hydroxide and 28 gal. water to make 35 gal. of final product. Then I use a separate sprayer to apply the butyl based product for the black gutter streaks. Some here can probably point you in the right direction for different application methods and products. You'll find what suits you best over time. Good luck!!

Jeff

Hi Dave

Thanks for responding. I am x-jetting the chemicals. It just seemed like I used way to much product perhaps I need to move quicker.

Is there a formula to use to determine how much chlorine is hitting the house?

Any info would be helpful. I have only done one house so far and have a lot to learn. The last thing I want to do is destroy someones siding.

Thanks

Mix 1/2 Gallon Sodium Hypochlorite in 4 1/2 Gallons of water in a five Gallon pail. Add 1 to2 cups Dawn or 22.5 ozs of Barlox.

Shoot mixture using the X-Jet with no proportioner. Move fast and don't linger on any section.

Works every time.

Ron Strickland