Sign in to follow this  
simplynatural

sanding tool?

Question

I recently stripped a 600 square foot deck. If you look closely, the wood of the grain has risen over time and it has left a very uneven surface, especially on the rails. I would like to sand the surface down but I need some advice on the tool for the job. Replacing boards is out of the question. I would prefer a floor sander but maybe the belt sander would work better due to uneven boards. It would be nice to have everthing even using a floor sander but I don't know if thats logical. Floor sander and belt sander or belt sand the whole thing? Regardless, resetting 1000+ nails is gonna suck.

post-2937-137772177933_thumb.jpg

post-2937-137772177939_thumb.jpg

post-2937-137772177941_thumb.jpg

3 answers to this question

Regardless, resetting 1000+ nails is gonna suck.

Yep that sure will suck but unless you wanna go thru loads of sand paper you gotta recess all them nails.

The deck don't look all that big for a belt sander with some 50 grit.

I recently stripped a 600 square foot deck. If you look closely, the wood of the grain has risen over time and it has left a very uneven surface, especially on the rails. I would like to sand the surface down but I need some advice on the tool for the job. Replacing boards is out of the question. I would prefer a floor sander but maybe the belt sander would work better due to uneven boards. It would be nice to have everthing even using a floor sander but I don't know if thats logical. Floor sander and belt sander or belt sand the whole thing? Regardless, resetting 1000+ nails is gonna suck.

Just FYI most tool rental stores WILL NOT rent a floor sander to work on a deck, 1 raised nail will damage a drum sander, been there myself bud, I got a planer. Nice finish but A LOT of work