Sign in to follow this  
Freshlook

A fence I cleaned today.. Still gotta seal it

Question

At LEAST 10 year old fence "owners couldn't remember" that has never been touched. I just cleaned and brightened it, and now they want it sealed!! gotta love it when they ask for more...

I figured I'd post some work I've done since I never have

Before---

post-2746-13777217808_thumb.jpg

post-2746-137772178095_thumb.jpg

post-2746-1377721781_thumb.jpg

35 answers to this question

You make a pretty good point there Rando and I somewhat back you on it under the premise that perhaps some of those that might now offer critisizm or go mute were but questionative newbies a few years ago. Everyones gotta start somewhere right?.... In contrast though I'd have to say that if the horse aint budgin then it dead and one ought not to beat it too much.. haha.....Some these threads get rolling so good that a simple thoughtless question can inspire a riot of a half dozen guys saying same thing and the outcome seems that the target fella is getting whipped and tarred.

You've certainly been aroundlong enough to know the search function and am sure you've paid some dues by offering help to others so I'd be one of the first to offer you what I know...Don't know nothin though of what others do so back to your point of when people post pics they should expect questions unless they disclaim they don't want questions.

Anyways...enough of my thesis..just wanted to let ya know yer feeling does not go unnoticed..

p.s... oh but really.. the guys here using tounge in cheek are great guys that will give you their left *** if they don't need it.. :)

thanks kevin,

i know you're there if i need you. i hope that i didn't step on anybody's toes here but when you post an awesome job here like fresh did then you better be ready to answer some questions. if not, then save the pics for your web site. i think i'll have him come do my fence and i'll just sit back and watch, take some notes and drink a cold beer. don't you just hate it when the homeowners tag along behind you?

consider this horse buried,

rando

thanks kevin,

i know you're there if i need you. i hope that i didn't step on anybody's toes here but when you post an awesome job here like fresh did then you better be ready to answer some questions. if not, then save the pics for your web site. i think i'll have him come do my fence and i'll just sit back and watch, take some notes and drink a cold beer. don't you just hate it when the homeowners tag along behind you?

consider this horse buried,

rando

I kid you not that I use generic labeled jugs for to head that horse off at the pass.

Rando,

I was not trying to be arrogant or anything, I simply understand that there A LOT of homeowners that frequent this forum latley. When I do get a job, I also go the extra step to have all my chems mixed before the job and unless you can tell the product by it's smell or other charecteristics.. One would have a hard time, picking it out of the air by a plastic container with no label.

I'll tell you the basics of what I used, HD-80 at 6oz/gallon x-jetted with no proportioner, the fence was never sealed or treated so I wasn't trying to strip an existing sealant. Dwell time was 25 minutes. Then hit the fence with a 4010 tip. Applied citralic twice at 4oz gallon and x-jetted also with no proportioner. Dwell was 30 minutes and did a VERY good rinsing. I also did 1 more step to the fence which I'm still playing with so I'm not at liberty to leave open for discussion. but here's a hint. It's a very old and good way to get rust off, and considering the fence was there for 10 years, there was a fair ammount of rust around all nailings.

The reason I have to x-jet is I don't have enough motivation to set up for DS'ing. and make sure to rinse it out very good after each chem.. AND if you do x-jet your chems on MAKE SURE TO USE A RESPIRATOR! and GOGGLES..

I kid you not that I use generic labeled jugs for to head that horse off at the pass.

My 5gal buckets...labled stripper ....Acid that's pretty generic but i'm not worried about H.O's knowing what my chems are.There are some guys that have watched me but got in my way.Most are in awe when i'm done and usually say there is no way i could have done that! :cool:

My oxalic mix will usually remove the rust stains some mixtures just need to be stronger.

I just noticed something too.. KEN see my little x-jet backpack in the last pic I posted.. I'm actually loving that little thing... been using it for quite a while now and to quiet the skeptics, NO SPILLS or LEAKS

x jet backpack? is that something you rigged up

Yes, go search the thread "Making the x-jet easier to use" I rigged it up due to the annoyance of a 5er and lugging it around the worksite.