Sign in to follow this  
Doug Dahlke

How is your residential business

Question

I have been at this for a year and a half now and thought this spring my residential business would really pick up. I have the largest Yellow Book ad in the county directory, I advertise in the local paper service directory, I am listed in Service Magic, I have a website, I send flyers and belong to a networking group. Commercial work is what is keeping me going. Is it high gas prices, low ballers, DIY, or am I missing something? I am not the cheapest guy around but I also have never had a complaint from a customer about my price when they saw the completed work.

Is anyone else feeling my pain or am I just missing something?

3 answers to this question

My residential is up. April I was 240% or so, this May I am on track to be up $480% over last May. My advertising has been slim, some post cards and the local paper. I have spent only $800 in advertising all season.

About 80% has been repeat from last year and referrals from existing customers.

My commercial work load is nada, One flat work gig every 3 months.

Doug, I'm there with you 'I have done mostly residential since I started up late last summer.I did three house last week that was good,but since then not a call.I still work full time and do this part time.I have ads in local phone book and yellowpage book both of which can be accessed from the web and I have yard signs.It seems like most of my biz thus far has come from my yard sign I have in my on yard.The ads just came out the past few months and it will take some time.Also just purchased magnetic signs for my truck and had a sign put on my tank it looks really good.When I get a chance I will post pictures of it to see what you guys think.

luckily this is a part time adventure for me. i could not survive if it was full time. my yellow page ad does not come out until june so i'm doing alot of referrals and word of mouth type jobs. i do have an ad in the talking phone book but i have not got the results that i wanted. the best advertising that i have done lately is by placing that sign in the homeowner's front yard of a job well done. try to schedule a job in a busy neighborhood on a saturday and you may be surprised on the number of people that will stop by and talk to you.

good luck.

rando