Sign in to follow this  
jakeman

how high to mount water tank

I am just setting up a new truck and mounting a 525 gallon water tank. I am told that the outlet from the water tank should be about 1 foot higher than the inlet for my pump. Any thoughts on this?

with that size tank don't even bother raising it. I've never had issues with the tank laying flat....look at pics on the internet of setups and you won't see too many tanks raised. you would have to raise your tank up at least 2 feet in the air because the pump is raised too.....4,000+ lbs of water will find it's way to the inlet...trust me.

More specifics are needed, but in most cases you should be fine without raising the tank.

Long hose runs from tank to washer, excessive fitting, restrictive lines and or fittings, and direct drive machines may require a raised tank.

A standard belt drive machine, using 3/4" or larger hose will suck that tank dry if you let it. My tank outlets are about 18" below my pump inlet, and the hose runs are between 5 and 10 feet.

No need to raise the tank. Even a direct drive pump will pull from 14 feet.

The trick is to have the tank as close to the pump as you can without burning a hole in the tank. Hard plumb the fittings and install a check valve near the output of the tank so the water stays in the line as it is pulled from the tank. This will stop the pump from loosing prime. I like to use 1 inch grey pvc for my installs. Also install a water filter in line.