Sign in to follow this  
One Tough Pressure

Increasing pump output

Over time I have read multiple posts regarding pumps and their true abilities.

Seems that more often than not, that belt driven pumps are run in what some call a "safe mode" and that with proper experience, they can be sped up a little to increase output. And this is being done without any damage to the pump.

I am not a pump expert and have not had the joy of rebuilding one just yet. May be sooner than I think if I add the nitrous though. Okay, just kidding about the Nitrous.

Who has successfully increased their pump output, and had it last for a decent amount of time? Apparently it can be done, if you know what pulleys to use.

My rig has a General TS1021 pump which was rated at 3500 PSI and 5.3 GPM. What can I get out of it as far as more GPM without burning it up in the first hour?

I know that some of you know quite a bit on this subject, so please, let's hear it.

And a last minute addition to this. I looked around a little for 1021 specs and General's website lists this pump as 3000 PSI and 4.5 GPM max, running at 1125 RPM.

I do not know how to check RPM of the pump, but have tested pressure with multiple gauges and it was 3200 psi with 150 feet of hose. I have also checked gpm and it does slightly more than 5 gpm. So unless All American has already sped up the pump, then I got the wrong sticker on my pump. Go figure.

belt drive pumps run at lower rpm's than direct drive. that is why they last so much longer than the same direct drive pump. If you speed up you pump, thus increasing the rpm's you are reducing the life of the pump. I don't see how there can be a "safe mode"

Say a pump usually runs at 1450 rpm. That is what some have called "safe mode" They claim it can be increased somewhat from their and not exceed the pumps max rpm, thus not reducing life in a signifigant way.

Only repeating what I hear from others and looking for some more correct answers.

Who here is the pump expert?

I am not what I would call a pump expert, but have many years of special machine design/engineering experience.

Having said that,

...Most equipment is designed with a specific life cycle in mind (x number of hours) at specific speeds. Designs normally have generous safety factor ranging from 10% to 100%.

100% safety factor is not your average, especially in mass produced equipment. I would say the average would be closer to the 10-30% range.

You would have to know the engineering specs or someone that has first hand experience with specific increases for brand and specific models.

"Safe Range" is anywhere before "Red Lining" but as Mike stated, "the higher the speed, the faster the wear" (as life cycle is measured in RPM, strokes, etc., of components and total assembly).

A 10% increase (an increase from rated speed) would be no problem on a well designed pump such as General or CAT. Anything over that would be a guess from me.

The other consideration is if you are upstreaming your also changing viscosity (from water), you are increasing the load on your pump and also reducing life (this may be very minimal but again is reducing your equipment life cycle).

You can purchase a relatively inexpensive hand held mechanical tachometer with a shaft end attachment (your local auto store or on-line). This (rubber) attachment is held against the end of the shaft while it's running and will get you your RPM reading.

(Use safe practices when doing this.)

When selecting your pulley ratios, you should also know your motor RPM under load (most likely 3450 RPM) and use this vs. your no load RPM of 3600. The info should be on the motor plate.

Your best bet for starting point would be the folks at General.

Thanks Paul. My engine rpm is 3450 as I have a tach/hour meter hooked up. I will look into a tach for the pump shaft, and Safe practices will be used., but If for some reason I do not post anymore, you know I was not safe enough, and lost my fingers. :eek:

I am not really planning on doing this, but would like to understand the theory behind the process. I would like to know the pump rpm though, and will check into this.

OTP,

I think you will eventually get burned by over clocking the pump.

At least now you have a warranty. Once you go over clocking, it will be gone. Is it worth it?

I can tell you that GP stands behind their products when operated per specification.

Anyway here is one of their engineers name and e-mail address.

Chuck Welch chuckw@gpcompanies.com

Obviously I am quite happy with GP and their product support!

Thanks Bruce. As I mentioned earlier, I am not really wanting to do this, but want to understand the theory behind it.

In another post, I made reference to bypassing water, so that my GPM was less than the pump is rated for and that is what I am going to do. I am happy with my 5 or so gpm and do not really need much more. When I do, I will get the trash pump out for 152 gpm and hang on tight. I actually byapass water on that too, otherwise I run out mighty quick.

It is nice to know the limits of equipment and what it can do if really needed.

I have to post a quick follow up.

The pump problem was with an AR pump!

They are the folks that worked me through that problem.

I had e-mailed one of General Pumps engineers about converting a d.d. pump to belt drive and some other questions

Anyway OTP I encourage you to call or e-mail G.P. with you pump questions. They are very responsive and will give you the facts.

By doing this it will releive your curiousity and put the facts in order.

Interesting concept.

Let us know what they tell you if you decide to follow up!