Sign in to follow this  
ACSTravis

Stripping composite?

Question

Man, I've been getting some weird calls lately. This guy has a composite deck with some kind of porch paint on it, why? -I don't know. However, he wants me to strip it off and put on a new sealer. I think that I am going to use FloodPro solid color finish, simply to make sure that I create an even finish. My question is; should I still strip with HD-80 and neutralize with Citralic or are those products too harsh on composite? I don't know, I've never done a composite deck before. I am going to go do a test patch this afternoon. Let me know what you guys think or have done in the past.

Thanks,

3 answers to this question

I'd be very skeptical putting a full bore stripper on composite (especialy at the strength you will need. I think you would compromise the life of the material too much. (I was on a deck the other day doing an evaluation for future testimony where the wood portion of the composite rotted. I could put my foot through some of the boards.

Prep it, prime it and restain.

Okay Ken,

So I am going to bid this job now. I was wondering what you use to prime it? That is what I will do, prep it with a light wash, and prime, and reseal with a solid sealer. So, what would you use to prime before sealing.

Thanks,

I will never understand the logic behind composite. It rots out if you dont seal it so people throw a solid on it. Looks like crap and you could have gotten a decent pressure treated deck and have it professionally maintained for ten years at the same price. Would last the same amount of time, look twice as good, and be half as expensive