Sign in to follow this  
ACSTravis

Dock!

Question

Hello all,

I went out on a call today and it was a doosy, a huge deck, gazebo, and dock, totaling over 4000 sq. ft.. The owner wants everything done at the same time, so it is all or nothing. It all needs to be stripped, including the dock and the owner is concerned about the fish in the pond. It is a personal pond, with no one else around it. I don't know how to keep the rinse water, stripper, and stripped sealer out of the water. I know I could tarp it and recycle the water, but I am not equipped to recycle water. What does everyone do on these kinds of jobs? Is there a stripper that will not hurt the water/fish? I was planning on using HD-80. Someone please help me out as I really want to get this huge job.

Thanks,

post-1958-137772182302_thumb.jpg

7 answers to this question

You bid the job without knowing what you gonna do? How did you price it?

Did you try calling who ever is the water authority in that area?

I think you would have more to worry about the water when you stain it.Like are you doing it by hand or enclose the arbor and spray it?

No, I haven't bid the job yet, I am still trying to determine what I'm going to do. And who would I contact about the water in my area? This is my first dock, so I don't really know. And I am going to do the staining by hand, with brushes.

Get some floating oilsorbent booms, enough so they float about 5 feet away from the dock on all sides. drape canvas over the tarps, so they tarps are across the water and under the dock. that will catch any old stain as its stripped off. I beleive that the HD80 is water soluable and will not hurt any fish. (Check with russell.) you will need to tie the tarps to the booms and will probably need a boat to do this, not to mention getting the tarps under the dock.

the difficulty is going to be getting to outsides of the arbor to strip and stain. very high difficulty level all around. I would guess half a day just setting up tarps and booms. Price high or loose your shirt doing this.

Good luck Travis.

A couple options....

Somewhat like Jon said, 2 x 2 framework to support 10mil plastic beneath dock and perhaps collect runoff in a barrel (like kitchen hood cleaners) set in a dinghy.

or

Crane day!

Disconnect framework from pilings and use crane to set it high enough on bank so recovery method can be used to keep chems from water.

Set it on 55gal barrels or cribbing.

A crane is probably $300 for half day, x 2... at least.

... I can't imagine a chem that would strip, and NOT kill fish...

Working over water brings a whole new facet into the safety considerations.

I'd advise a full crew for "lake day" even if they are at low production levels, just to be there for a quick response if a problem occurs.

r

After you figure on how you are going to do it contact the DNR and explain to them on what you are going to do. Then ask for a letter stating that they approve of your methods.