Sign in to follow this  
bigchaz

propylene glycol

Question

Its my understand that prop glycol acts as an added punch for sodium hydroxide. What is the recomended mix rate for a 5 gallon pail of stripper? Timberstrip pro is the product if it matters.

Are we talking like an ounce of glycol for a gallon of stripper or higher? What kind of reaction is to be expected? Will it foam, gas off, bubble, explode, get thick, change color, etc

For those wondering its the prestone low tox.

37 answers to this question

I was told by Russell that ethylene glycol will not work as a booster additive. I'm not saying you are wrong Rod as I am not a chemist but relaying what I was told.

If you want a killer downstream-able stripper that will remove almost anything (in a 25 gallon tank) mix:

20 gallons water

One ten lb tub of HD-80

2 gallons polypropolene glycol

2 gallons butyl cellosolve

Kevin, further explaination on the difference between the two antifreezes? Butyl celosolve has ethylene glycol listed next to it on websites validating what Rod was saying. I am already lost as I am a lousy technician. Anything you can add to clarify (en anglais, s'il vous plais) would be appreciated.

Hey Ken,

I am giving what I was presented by Tom after he had this product developed by his own chemist. We have used it and it works. I also need to mention that it has a proprietary alcohol in it as well but I was trying to address the main fact of environmental consciousness by pointing out the other chemical. I am like you, neither a chemist or a good parrot.

Rod!~

Ok so correct me if mistaken...

We have 6 glycols talked about at this point with various pros and cons as possable boosters.

1.Propylene glycol

(1,2-Propanediol; 1,2-Dihydroxypropane; Methylethylene glycol; Trimethyl glycol; 1,2-Propylene glycol; monopropylene glycol; propane-1,2-diol; alpha-propyleneglycol; dowfrost; PG 12; sirlene; solar winter ban; Propanediol - CAS [57-55-6] C3H8O2

Propylene Glycol )

..Safe antifreeze, Supposed to be less toxic than standard Ethylene Glycol antifreeze. Flashpoint 210 degree F.. more info here: PROPYLENE GLYCOL - (Partially Validated Method #2051)

2. 2-phenoxyethanol

(Ethylene glycol phenyl ether, Phenoxytolarosol,Dowanol EP / EPH,Emery 6705,Rose ether,1-Hydroxy-2-phenoxyethane, β-hydroxyethyl phenyl ether, Phenyl cellosolve-C.A.S. #[122-99-6]C8H10O2 Phenoxyethanol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

...Supposed to be less toxic and increases range of sealant coating removal. Flash point- 250 deg. F

3. Polyoxyethylene Nonylphenol-

Tergitol NP-33

(Polyethylene Mono(nonylphenyl)ether Glycols; Polyoxyethylene (9) Nonylphenyl Ether; nonyl phenol ethoxylate; nonylphenyl polyethyleneglycol ether, nonionic; polyethylene glycol 450 nonyl phenyl ether, nonionic surfactant; Tergitol NP-9; polyethylene glycol 450 nonyl phenyl ether; Ethoxylated nonylphenol; alpha(nonylphenyl)-omega-hydroxypoly(oxy-1,2-ethanediyl); polyethylene glycols mono(nonylphenyl)ether; macrogol nonylphenyl ether; nonoxinol; polyoxyethylene(n)-nonylphenyl ether; nonylphenoxypolyethoxyethanol; nonylphenyl polyethylene glycol ether; nonoxynol; Makon; ; T-DET-N; surfionic n; sterox; arkopal N-090; carsonon N-9; igepal co-630; neutronyx 600; PEG-9 nonyl phenyl ether; protachem 630; rewpol hv-9; polyoxyethylene nonyl phenol; Glycols, polyethylene, mono(nonylphenyl) ether; Nonylphenol polyethylene glycol ether; Nonylphenol, polyoxyethylene ether; Nonylphenoxypoly(ethyleneoxy)ethanol; POE nonylphenol; Polyoxyethylene nonylphenol; POE (10) nonylphenol; CAS[9016-45-9] )

Polyoxyethylene Nonylphenol

.....Thinking this could be the fairly toxic version banned in European Union due to environmental concerns, they are replaced by more expensive but safer alcohol ethoxylates..
4. Ethylene glycol

(Monoethylene glycol, MEG, 1,2-ethanediol C2H4(OH)2),CAS# 107-21-1

Ethylene glycol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

..used as antifreeze, used to make glycol ethers, used to make stains, is a combustable alcohol-non flamable(232 degree F)..is pretty toxic..

5. 2-Butoxyethanol

(butyl cellosolve, butyl glycol, ethylene glycol monobutyl ether, Dowanol, Bane-Clene, Eastman EB solvent CAS [111-76-2] c6h14o2)

2-Butoxyethanol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

..The butyl base of many retail and industrial cleaners and strippers "The main use of 2-butoxyethanol is as a solvent in paints and surface coatings, followed by cleaning products and inks.", unsure of how much extended range for surface coating removal compared to the phenoxy -cas#122-99-6 mentioned by Rod.

More info is found here: 2-BUTOXYETHANOL (BUTYL CELLOSOLVE) 2-BUTOXYETHYL ACETATE (BUTYL CELLOSOLVE ACETATE)

6. 2-Ethoxyethanol

2-Ethoxyethanol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

..flamable, toxic-CAS No.: 110-80-5 , Synonyms =Ethylene glycol monoethyl ether, Cellosolve, EGEE, cellosolve solvent, ethyl cellosolve, glycol ethyl ether, dowanol EE, poly-solv EE, hydroxyether, 2-Ethoxyethanol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chemical Sampling Information: 2-Ethoxyethanol

oxitolhttp://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/npgd0258.html

..Don't think ya want to use this..flamable 110 degree F

#3 is a surfactant/detergent - the main ingredient in many liquid house washes and store bought strippers and degreasers.

The amount of synonyms would support that. Is there any specific retail products you see it listed on..or what synonyms is more common use?.

The Wiki says "Polyoxyethylene is the chemical name for a straight chained alcohol." and I assume the term is used for many chemicals in that condition. Think we need to see exact synonym with the 'nonylphenol' part.

Well tomorrow ill be trying some prop glycol on a deck with full strength timberstrip pro so well see how it goes. Prolly do one bucket without to see what the difference will lbe

Did some updating to this today...

Hey Ken, Daniel, and Rod...can you guys please post up your cas # of what your using?..Just want to be clear.

..only seeing 1,2,or 5 as workable additives and still wondering how much one over the other works for more variety of coating removal..

Ethylene glycol phenyl ether C.A.S. #122-99-6 happens to work great in a booster.

Tom @ ACR products sells an additive called 633 that helps to expand the range of sealants a stripper would work with and is less hazardous to the environment.

Rod!~

Here ya go Kevin.

Rod!~

Yea ok, thanx Rod..we had yours higher up already, sorry..

Info on quantity added per gal., cost per gal., and where we can most likely find would be good info too...

Latest I'm seeing CAS [57-55-6] going for is $15 for the Peak Sierra Safe at some local retail, $11 online, or $20 at supplier..They question the percentage strength of the store retail bought of course.

..just checking in on this old thread to see if we got any new info?

Let's see where the following post to Scott leads us...(posted also on TheWoodPros) :

Tergitol NP-9 - TheWoodPros.com Forum

"Hi Scott,

Firstly what is your last reference about?. Is that contact going to share info about the chemical in question?

My goal with the boosters has always been to try and find clarity on which of the various chems work as a booster for synthetic coating removal yet is considered safe by modern day standards of using the chems in residential settings in quantity. There has been much confusion regarding chem names due to synonym and brand names and but I think last I checked I had it weeded down to 6 different CAS numbered chems. My concern is that the NP-9 might be the one not so safe, if not actually banned in some places like Europe..(don't quote me there without confirming).

Following link will take you to work in progress on TGS that your welcome to hash about if you like. I provided many links throughout the thread but the specific post I link to has the synonyms and summary on what we all talked about. Even though the list of synonyms for NP-9 looks long if not most popular (at least historically) doesn't mean it is best choice. I can tell you from personal research that the 2-butoxy (aka- butyl cellosolve, which is number 5 on the list) is the one sighted most often as being a fast degradable chem in the environment and is in my floor strippers and products such as purple power. Although all these chems should be treated with respect and handled with proper safety equipment, it is the NP-9 (number 3 on list)that I would question the most before adding it to a mix.

www.thegrimescene.com/forums/wood-cleani...ycol.html#post109147

Besides the question of what is most safe there is the question of which of the chems will react or help to set off the caustic or which will only help to wet/soak in/remove surface tension."

I use about 2-3 oz of NP-9 per gallon of stripper and percarb and it works well. The wood will stay wetter longer and it does give it a little cling. I am not sure if it "boosts" the chemical as far as its ability to remove more stuborn stains.