Sign in to follow this  
Doug Dahlke

My pressure gauge turned black

About a month ago I noticed that the liquid inside my pressure gauge coming off the pump had turned black. I replaced the gauge and now the liquid inside the new one is starting to darken. Is that normal or a sign that something in the pump is not right?

The fluid in your gauge is glysirin (sp). Its used to dampen the needle movement. Your pump fluids would never come in contact with or mix with this unless the gauge is bad. My guess would be maybe high temp is changing the fluid darker.

Maybe if the wizard is still around he will have an answer.

that is a characteristic of gauges made in China. The ones made in Italy or Spain have never had that problem or not that I am aware of.

Remove the rubber cap and drain the liquid and replace with clear Wesson Oil and reinstall the cap. This has worked for others.

One more question. I bought a new gauge that I will install this weekend. On all of the gauges I installed it said to cut open the little rubber nipple at the top of the gauge. I did this and the gauge that is on there now, which has turned black, has leaked fluid out of this opening. There is definitely less fluid in the gauge now then there was. Why is this opening supposed to be cut open? Is it supposed to leak fluid?