Sign in to follow this  
svp07

Advertising...

Question

I have not been on here in a while, but has anyone used a direct mailing service utilizing postcards? Response rate? I am thinking about doing it in the next week or so, picking 500 random households in 4-6 different zip codes. Any thoughts?

Steve

4 answers to this question

Most of my advertising is through direct mail. I target specific demographics and get 1-2% of the jobs from the cards. I would avoid random mailing to multiple zip codes unless you plan on sending thousands of cards. That's just my limited experience.

Hey Steve, good to see ya..

You will probably get a response rate from zero to one half of a percent.

2000 cards will yield maybe 8-10 calls. Of those calls, without target marketing, you will get 2 that you will eliminate as not worthwhile. Of the 6-8 estimates remaining you will land 3-4 jobs.

Much more effective would be to pick 1000 houses within a certain radius based upon some detailed criteria (income, time of ownership, etc) You can get a targeted mailing list from a place like infousa.com or use a local mailing/marketing house. Confirm that the addresses you are targeting are in areas that are rich with contractor/landscaper activity.

• Send those houses an introduction letter and a magnet.

• Two weeks later send them a postcard. Drive them to your website to se your work.

• Two weeks later, send it again with a call to action (FREE driveway cleaning with deluxe housewash).

• As you start getting jobs hammer the surrounding areas with door hangers.

• In the areas you are targeting, find out what the people there like to do and what religion dominates the area. Use support advertising to hit those. (ie advertise in their church bulletin, sponsor little league team, advertise on the bulletin board at the country club)

• Also in the areas you target have newspaper ads in the classifieds. I'm tlaking about one of those business card sized ads.

• Something free to do is donate your services to a school or church then call the press to cover it (they will)

Start this now and by the late summer rush you will dominate those areas. 1000 cards mailed again in September should get you a call back rate of between 30 and 40 calls from prequalified people. If you have some sales ability, you can be the highest price guy and close 15-20 jobs.

Next year, you do it again only you add another adjacent service area.

Does It Work?

We have completed 140+ new customer jobs this season and the phone continues to ring. Our database will exceed 500 this year. From this point on I expect it to grow about 200 customers per year.

If you deviate from this plan (everyone does) expect your results to drop dramatically.

Make sure your website and your advertising are done right.

Make sure your truck(s) look good and are logo'd.

Ken obviously has a well thought out system !

My 2c comes from a biz network group that included a printer and bulk mailer.

Go to bulk mailer guy 1st.

He will advise what size is effective and give ideas on areas.

Bulk mailer usually has favorite printer and will send you to him.

At printer you can see what his requirements are for cost effective.

Then you can implement the KEN system!

r