Sign in to follow this  
bigchaz

crap....behr solid

Question

Well I fudged up taking on a behr solid job. Wondering what the options are without ordering something. I knew id seen some posts on here with guys removing the behr solid quite well (that green deck for instance a few years back). But did a search and seems to be just as many cases of not being able to get it off

The finish is 5 years old and mostly gone on the surface. Its the verticals im a bit worried about. Gonna do a test spot tommorow. Ive got plenty of timberstrip and low tox to boost, but will I need something else?

Anyone have experiance with Bix? How does it work? is it effective, etc etc?

Basically any tips on getting this behr stuff off?

15 answers to this question

Painting bix/jasco gel on will be a pita when you get into intricate surfaces. I've used the epoxy remover version along with laqcuer thinner at times to remove catalyzed stuff on flat surfaces...

The method where you cover your boosted stripper with plastic will be your best bet on rails. Maybe Rod has some cling ideas for ya for your mix also..

My concern is mostly that it could be hit or miss. For instance some people have been able to get the solids off with just SH like shane and the green deck. Then there is something like ken posted and it took all night dwell.

Im kicking myself for not waiting and delivering the proposal later on since I priced it just like a normal strip job not fully absorbing the fact that this was behr

My concern is mostly that it could be hit or miss.

Well that's how it goes soemtimes but it always helps to do a test spot :lglolly:

I played the hit and miss in the very beginning. Had a couple solids that came off with no problem. Its when you get that first one that you go back to six times and the customer thinks you are incompetant where you wake up and say I am taking the time to do a test spot. Its a tough call. Do you waste the time figuring out how to strip it only to find out the customer is looking to spend $400 on their 800 s/f deck?

Yea thats part of it as well. I had no idea how whether Id even get the job when I went inside to write the numbers. He showed me the can and then went to put it away. When he came back and I had the proposal finished he signed right on the spot. I should have told him I would have to come back with the price, but so far all my proposals have been written while I was there, so making a second trip isnt in my thought process

Ive been telling myself to bring test stuff with me forever. Keep procrastinating. What stinks is that if I tested every deck I would have wasted a ton of time this last week on the 10 or so bids I didn't get