Sign in to follow this  
ACSTravis

Sanding

Question

Hello all,

I'm curious as to what everyone uses for sanding decks. We use DeWalt 5 inch orbital sanders, DeWalt 9 inch sander/polishers with defurring pads, and do some spindles by hand with sponges, sandpaper, etc. I'm just curious to see if there is a faster way, or some sanding attachments besides the defurring pads that I could put on the 9 inch sander/polishers.

Thanks a lot,

12 answers to this question

You can buy the hook and loop backer pad for the orbital sander polisher

I use the makita 9227 with defurring and sandpaper pads. Trying to find 60 grit in the 9 inch hook and loop though

Yea everyone has different sizes don't they... 5" stuff seems most popular round here at the stores for the orbitals. I have to dig hard to find both hook and loop and stick back type for my 6" orbitals.

Your best bet Charlie might be Norton or Pearl Abrasives on them 9" ones. I buy floor burnisher pads direct from Norton and I know they make huge variety of sanding stuff also. (scored about 10 of the 50 count boxes in various grit recently in a lot buy)

I have a Craftsman 5" RO and a Makita belt sander. The Makita rocks on the handrails! I can also use it to resurface the tops of the supports if they are exposed, but didn't strip well due to rough grain.

Heres the arsenal:

Makita 9227c with defurring pads

Dewalt variable speed 5inch orbital sander with 60 grits

Craftsman 4inch belt sander with 50grit.

Just got the dewalt and that thing rocks. Heavy duty, hook and loop pad, great dust bag, quiet, and doesn't vibrate very bad at all. I could do an entire floor with that thing easy if i didn't have the belt sander

picture0322zs6.jpg

My price inludes sanding if there isn't an insane amount of work to be done. I will spend maybe 20-30 minutes tops on most jobs.

I almost always sand the top rail on decks, whether cedar or PTP. There are times when the previous finish hangs in the knots on PTP, and then they get a quick shot with the RO too.

You have to be careful about selectively sanding cedar. It is possible to create dark spots when you stain by making penetration vary from area to area. I will sand the rails, but I try not to sand the floor unless the whole thing needs it. Usually you can get by with just removing the fuzzies if necessary.

I just got a pretty cool new sander, it works really well for sanding the inside sides of the spindles, in case all of the stripped sealer doesn't come off or something like that. It is a Black and Decker "Dragster" belt sander.

post-1958-137772183039_thumb.jpg

post-1958-137772183046_thumb.jpg

best investment ever was the Makita and the osborne brush. Although today I found that it was so much fun to use, i was killing my back doing every board, and pulled out the old stiff nylon brush and pole for the easy stuff. then went back over with the makita.

Like larry I probably spend 30 minutes tops sanding on each deck. Typically the floor gets spot sanded (I do mainly ptp so no issues) for splinter area. Rails get belt sanded and spindles will get a quick deferring with the Makita if needed.