Sign in to follow this  
dpaull

Bad day for me...

Question

Ahh man...what a day.

I think I learned my lesson...don't give estimates over the phone. The house in the photo below had called and asked for an estimate on washing their siding. I checked the address and it was a good bit away, so I just told him my min. charge was $250 and I could wash his 30 feet of siding for that. I completely assumed he'd say no.

So he said sounds good...we show up today after another job and oh my...the siding is horrible.

I mean the paint is actually missing. There is artillery fungus spores on it near the bottom (from some old red mulch he had)...

So I decided to talk with the customer, and explain that his siding needed painted and that we can basically wash it to get it ready to be painted (prep it)...for the same price, but I threw in some windows and the front sidewalk to keep him happy.

He said, "so the darker spots won't come off?" I told him that the dark spots were where the paint was missing and no way would washing the house take them off. He understood. I further explained the artillery fungus, and he said his neighbor told him the same thing I did -- that it needed painted...he had already replaced the mulch with small rocks.

--

So we wash...gets the siding clean, no doubt, but of course we can't remove something that is there because there's no paint lol...

siding.jpg

what.jpg

Anyway, what do you think about those pics? Would you have even tried to wash that?

--

So we are finishing up...his wife comes home and says no way in hell they're paying because the house isn't clean. I just gave them an invoice, told her about her husband's decision...but she insisted. I told her no big deal, just decide what she thinks is fair, and pay me that amount...I doubt I'll see a dime.

--

It's not like I'm slow either, I have a decent sized deck (390 sq. foot, 50+ feet of railings) to do that I'm starting tomorrow and a 300+linear foot 2-story vinyl siding wash that is only 2 years old...oh well...you win some, you lose some.

--

Anyway, I stopped to check a deck I did recently on my way home...beautiful.

water.jpg

5 answers to this question

No, the artillery is at the bottom...I didn't get any close ups of it.

First, we tried 6% with some dawn, and a little jomax downstreamed.

I let it dwell a good while, re-applied, and let dwell some more, hosed off.

--

Then we tried the xjet to get more concentration with 6%, dawn, jomax, and a little dab of tsp for good measure...let dwell...nothing.

Then we started on some run-down on the brick, which came off nicely...and she came home and was upset...

So we tried straight 6% in a bucket and a brush on an extension pole...not a single thing.

--

lol...I mean we knew what was up, but we wanted to try everything just in case...what do you think...you think that should have come off and it's not just missing paint?

I mean in some areas, you can literally see where the paint has just worn away. I know it looks like growth in the photos, but the house is nearly 50 years old...

He moved in 10 years ago, and never washed it lol.

That must have been where some growth was, held in some moisture, and just totally screwed up the paint.

--

Thoughts welcome.

Pics probably don't do justice in figuring out if it very thin paint totally oxidized and done for or if it mold. Odd it all around window area as if maybe smoke came out there at one point.

If it just the wood showing through some citric or oxalic may have lightened it..just write it off at this point.