Sign in to follow this  
mas3372

drilling wells

Question

Hello,

I am having a sprinkler system put in my yard finally. I just hate paying for city water to water my grass and flowers. I am considering a well. I have also been told of a Point Well for high water tables, which I live in.

Anyone have any idea what a well costs to have put in and the cost of the Point Well, pros and cons of either. I will keep my city water for everything inside. Just need water for irrigation so I am not concerned about hard water or filtration.

Thanks.

3 answers to this question

My info may be a little outdated by about 30 years but for the sake of info anyway: The driller I knew of had a flat fee to come out and set up and begin drilling. He charged by the section of pipe depth (usually 15') and back then it was $115/section and they had to drill 185' to hit water. So with that in mind, it was around $1500 before the set up charges. Of course, this was in Arizona mind you and they had to drill through caliche (calcified bedrock) to get to it.

Depending on where you live geographically and the current water table levels, you may be fortunate to not have to go very deep, but be prepared to have it go at least 100'-185' depending upon your areas land relief and rises. Have a surveyor come out. They have plenty of information on surrounding wells that have been completed and the current lay of the land that contains underground springs or chambers they have mapped out.

Rod!~

Rod, Thanks for the great info. I live in a high water table area, from what I have been told, water in the area has been hit as low as 25'. Not sure if I will be so lucky. I will have to call a few places tomorrow to get some ideas and prices. Thanks again.

In the state of Missouri a new well has to at least go 80' and be cased 80'. I would call your state enviormental people and found out the specifics.

I know when my Dad use to drill wells, we could put in a 200 ft well, pump, tank, etc for around 3500.00