Sign in to follow this  
RAJD

credit card scam

Question

My son in law who is on the NYPD gave this to me to read.

I thought it was worth posting

Jan m U4 ll:48a NPCSD 845-256-4025 p.2

Dugatkin

Fronfl:

Troop F CT1U (Robert Maurin) [RMaurin@troopers,state.ny.us]

7 .

Sent:

Tuesday, January 20, 2004

1:29 PM

To:

chief.nppd@hvl.net

Subject:

Master Card / Visa Fraud

Source: UCSO'

Dennis P. Young

lieutenant

Sgt Eric V Benjamin

Subject; Fraud

We all receive emails all the time regarding one scam or another; but last week I REALLY

DID get scammedJ Both VISA and MasterCard told me that this scam is currently being worked

throughout the Midwest, with some variance as to the product or amount, and if yoiu are

called, just hang up.

My husband was called on Wednesday from "VISA" and I was called on Thursday from

"Mastercard" It worked like this: Person calling says, "This is Carl Patterson (any name)

and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA. My Badge number is 12460.

Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase patter, and I'm calling to verify. This

would be on your VISA card issued by 5/3 bank- Did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing

Device for $497.99 from a marketing company based in Arizona?" When you say "No", the

caller continues with, "Then we will be issuing a credit to your account- This is a

company we have been watching and the charges range from $297 to $497, just under the $500

purchase pattern that flags most cards. Before your next statement, the credit will be

sent. to (gives you your address), is that correct?" You say/ "Yes". The caller continues

... "I will be starting, a fraud investigation. If you have any questions, you should call

the 800 number listed on your card 1-800-VISA and ask for Security. You will ne<2.d to refer

to this Control-". Then gives you a 6 digit number. "Do you need me to read it again""

Caller then says he "needs to verify you are in possession of your card. Turn the card

over. There are 7 numbers; first 4 are 1234

(whatever) the next 3 are the security numbers that verify you are in possession of the

card. These are the numbers you use to make internet purchases to prove you have the card".

Read me the 3 numbers." Then he says "that is correct. I just needed to verify that the

card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card. Do you have any other

questions? Don't hesitate to call back-if you do"

Yoiu actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the car number- But

after we were called on Wednesday, we called back within 20 minutes to ask a question. Are

we glad we did! The REAL VISA security dept. told us it was a scam and in the last 15

minutes a new purchase of $497.99 WAS put on our card. Long story made short ...-we made a

real fraud report and closed the VISA card and they are re-issuing us a new number. What

the scam wants if-the 3 digit number and-that once the charge goes through, they keep

charging every few days. By the time you get your statement, you think the credit is

coming, and then it is harder to actually file a fraud report. The real VISA reinforced

that they never ask for anything on the card (they already know). What makes this more

remarkable is that on Thursday, I got a call from "Jason Richardson of MasterCard" with a

word for word repeat of the VISA scam. This time I didn't let him finish. I hung up. we

filed a police report (as instructed by VISA) and they said they are taking several of

these reports dai,ly and to tell friends, relatives and co-workers.

I have contacted Visa and after 30 minutes confirmed that this scam is occurring. The

only difference is the Visa scam is being done via e-mail whereas the Mastercard is via

telephone.

They gave me this site to look at http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/creditcard.asp.

i.

Dennis P. Young

Lieutenant ,

ucso

1 answer to this question