Sign in to follow this  
stoppie101

what should i do?

Question

hey all, new to this whole washing game. i'm getting everything ready to go for when the weather breaks. just need a little guidence.

i have a honda 13hp, cat pump, 3600psi, 4gpm, 275 tote and plenty hoses. i'm researching getting a hot box, surface cleanner and a few other items.

i'm planning on doing residental houses, drives, walkways. also looking into doing drive thrus, gas stations and new home clean up. any advice would rule.

for doing 2+ story residental house washing, what is the most effective and efficent way to go. an extension pole or an adapter like an x-jet or comparable item? i'm sure every case is different, but if it is one or the other, which would you prefer???????

6 answers to this question

Stoppie,

I prefer the x-jet and if I need a longer throw I have a 6 ft wand to place the x-jet on. A extension wand has its uses but it get you tired pretty quick and one sore back. Everyone has there way of doing things. Some Love the x-jet and some hate it.

You did come to the right place to get information. Everyone here will give there opinions to you when asked and then you can make you own after thinking them out or trying out the methods we all use.

Good Luck

Be careful with gas stations! There are so many contaminates on the concrete you'll have quite a high octane brew by the time you're done. And of course you're supposed to recover the wash water.

There are lots of concerns to cover. I'd suggest using the search function on this board to find as much info as you can, then ask questions from there.

I went to look at a residential house today with an old, painted chimney (white paint). The entire brick chimney is painted and the house is being renovated by a builder. He wants to get the paint off the brick. Anyone run across this type of job? Should it be treated like a graffitti job as far as chemicals? What I mean by that is, is there a chemical that will do most of the work eating up the old paint, then wash off? Is hot water a must on that type of job?

-JC

Try Prosoco's "Heavy Duty Paint Stripper" - it's made for stripping multi layers of paint off masonry surfaces. It is a jell, so it will hang on vertical surfaces. It stays damp for up to 24 hrs.

If the surface will be repainted, you need to make sure the surface is neutralized after stripping. Need to be in 6-8 pH range for paint to adhere properly.

You can find directions on the web site under Restoration - Paint & Coating Removal - Product Data Sheet (MSDS is also available on site).

www.Prosoco.com Call them to find a local rep in your area (800) 255-4255

I read the stat sheet on that stuff.. WOW! Did you happen to notice where it says this stuff must NOT be discharged to soil, water or sewers (as it is a "priority pollutant") without consultation of federal, state -AND- local regulations regarding public health and the environment. ph level is 14.

That label said a mouthful! If im restoring a chimney, there's no way in heck some of that stuff isnt going to get into/onto the soil. I really appreciate the feedback, i think im going to turn down this job. There are too many issues running thru my head with this one, and the little man says, "Walk away."

For all you Seinfeld fans out there, you know you have to listen to "the little man".

-JC