Sign in to follow this  
Chris S

Applying Sikkens Cetol with an airless

Question

A customer called me yesterday and wants Sikkens Cetol applied to his deck. He said that he did his front porch, but he didn't want to do his deck because it was such a pain in the a$$. He said that the manufacturer states that it takes 2 coats and it must be brushed on. I am not sure yet which Cetol it is, but I looked on their website and they mention spraying as an acceptable application method for Cetol. I have personally never applied any Cetol. Does anyone have any advice that needs to be followed when applying Cetol with an airless?

6 answers to this question

It can be done. While Sikkens is a great finish it is a p.i.t.a. to maintain. It goes through a color shift from UV exposure and if not reapplied regularly (before any peeling or flaking) it is very difficult to match up again. I am only saying this as the customer should be made aware of the frequency required to keep it looking good, otherwise the finish will degrade and require a complete replacement which those who have tried to do so know it is a very difficult strip.

also, if the deck is less than 2 feet off the ground, it will fail quicker than on other decks due to high moisture retention and dynamic changes that occur from extended drying periods. Since there is no practical way to coat all sides to keep the deck from swelling and shrinking, this scenario makes it unsuitable for sikkens dek. Go with srd instead.

Rod!~

Thanks for all the advice that I'm sure can't be found on the back of the can. I'm going to find out today which Sikkens it is. So is the majority against applying with an airless?