Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

WTW Brown Sugar

Question

Here is a customer that I sold a house washing, gutter scrubbing and deck restoration. I didn't take any before pics - but the decks were awful, built 11 years ago - and then a neigbor 'pressure' washed it last year and put a coat of stain. It probably looked worse this year than if it hadn't been stained. This lady, unknown to me, had well water - by the time I had applied the stripper - the well had run dry, luckily there was a drenching rainstorm, and I scrubbed the deck in the rain - and then used a hose along with the scrubber to rinse. It was a nightmare - ended up doing 16 hrs of sanding as well - just wanted a really good customer with good referrals. Anyways homeowner was ecstatic at the results. And lastly reason #101 to use wtw, decks are built only a foot off the ground - and the wood always seems moist - no matter how dry the weather is.

post-1720-137772188618_thumb.jpg

post-1720-137772188664_thumb.jpg

post-1720-137772188705_thumb.jpg

6 answers to this question

I have a spraytech .33gpm airless and one of those really fat Wooster deck staining brushes. I tarped the whole side of that house with those 1 mil plastic sheets - well half the house. Then used Jarrods' method of tarping both sides of the railings - and shot 5 gallons and backbrushed. I like the sprayer, especially when doing the floors - I spray like a 2-3 millimeter puddle, quick enough so it doesn't soak in - that lets me see how much I am putting on - then backbrush out.

Do you backbrush on all your spindles as well? I use a sprayer too, but usually just leave the rails alone after spraying. Do you saturate it to the point that it it will start to drip?

I'll give the spindles a quick backbrushing - I saturate them, sometimes a few drip - I like to soak the wood. I spray like 8 feet worth of spindles - and backbrush 'em out. Too often I have noticed, if you don't saturate spindles - you will come back like 20 minutes later - and some spindles look like they weren't even touched - and then you go back touching up a bunch of spindles - which sucks.