Sign in to follow this  
shawn_shawn

Burner Unit Only Firing On Start Up (one Time)

Hello,

I Am Having A Problem With My Burner Unit. It Is A Becket Unit On A Rk-43. I Recently Did Some Work On It Tune Up Etc. And The Burner Only Fires Up Once During Start Up (approx. 20-30 Secs.) And Then Stops. I Have A Constant Fuel Spray Coming From It But No Ignition. It Is A 12 Volt System And Batteries Are Charged.

I Was Thinking Electrodes Out Of Adjustment. I Checked Them 3 Times. Still No Luck. Any Help Would Be Appreciated.

Thanks

Shawn Nihem

Lansford, Pa

Nec&m

I have 110 unit so can't really speak much to the 12volt. Can't see it being electrodes out of adjust if it firing at one point. If it spraying then, if set up properly, it should be firing as the circuit is complete. Exception would be situation where that unit is setup with two seperate circuits through various switches and the one allowing the transformer to be energized is not complete. Transformer could be on way out but I would try to track the circuit and confirm that it has power going to it when the fuel solinoid one does. Temporarily bypass the various flow or pressure switches for to eliminate their being of issue. Try a search on here as there have been threads recently with schematics of a burner circuit. Can't find it let me know..

Shawn, does your burner have a flame sensor on it? These were originally designed as a safety lock out for home heating systems should ignition not occur to prevent the combustion chamber from being flooded with raw fuel. On 12 volt machines, they are used to drop the ignitor out after ignition is established, basically making the flame self supporting, to save current draw. If they screw up in this configuration, then you are left with no spark to light the fuel spray. If yours has one, there should be an electric "eye" mounted on the bottom of the ignitor, and a box mounted over the motor or to the rear of the ignitor. It can be bypassed by finding the red wire on the ignitor, disconnection it from the terminal in the box, and tying it together with the red to the motor. You can either replace it or leave it bypassed, as long as you're geting a good charge rate out of your engine.

hello ,

the original coil pack didn't have an eye on it. i bought a replacement approx one year ago(it has an elect. eye). i never hooled it up. i just cut and taped the wires.

i am however just getting a raw fuel spray when pulling the trigger after the initial ignition has stopped.

shawn nihem

lansford, pa

nec&m

It Was The Electrodes Out Of Adjustment !!!

Thank's To All Who Took The Time To Try To Help Me. I Appreciate It Very Much !!!!!

Shawn Nihem

Lansford, Pa

Nec&m

I Used A 3/16 Allen Wrench To Measure Them And It Works Great!!!!

(1) A dirty Fuel filter can cause the same symptom.

When fuel first enters it has enough volume to fire up then it slows down thru the filter causing one quick poof.

(2) Electrodes cause a delayed burn as well firing once then loosing the spark.

(3) A bad bridge rectifier can also cause this, On some machines they use a Bridge to power a Relay from the Charging coil, When the engine is running the coil puts out 24vac and the bridge changes it into Pulsating DC. A shorted rectifier will cause the burner to go on until you let go of the gun trigger. When you let go the burner will not fire up again until you shut off the engine and restart it.

John.. you you you Wizzard you!!. what did you do..you go and stick water or goo in my oil or you a freaking Holloweenish psychic wizzard for reals?. Irony and bad luck has it that I was washing tonight off a hydrant and the pressure blew my float tank float valve. Water was pouring everywhere and I think it either caused my belts to slip or the whole things just decided to crap out all at once, The thing was sqwealing like a stuck pig with pressure going up and down and after a few cycles of that off and on for about 20 minute I think something decided it was done. The sqweeling sounded like metal..I look over and my boiler is bellowing smoke like Krakatoa. Think it got too hot from the low flow. Man was it putting out some major heat and steam. May have blown the coil, unsure...lol...

I only laugh as if not for that I would be crying like a baby.

Was busy fixing it...Have kids by day that take naps so is hard to get out certain hours.

A little screw fell out the float linkage, pump belts were gettin loose. Pressure works again with no apparent leakage out of coil so something odd must have been going on in their unrelated to the drowning and slippage I gave the rest of the unit....oh I bet I know what happened. All the water drowning likely shorted the electrics out and it decided to stop firing. Some fuel must have been still pumping hence the smoke.. Will have to test the heat out in the open tomorrow. I never chance firing it up near or under the garage... Had hard time rolling unit out trailer being I am still recovering from back issue..nother day anotha dolla..