Sign in to follow this  
dlamontm98

Finding good employees and good pads

I did my first daycare by myself. It is about 6000 sq ft. I just did a scrub job and a coat of wax. The hardest part of course was moving the furniture around. My hands and feet are little sore, but I'll be fine. The floors really came out great. You almost want to eat off of them--lol. I'm hoping to get more business with my actions instead of words. The big boss saw them and said they look great--hopefully that will lead to other daycares. Of course I will need help. Question--How did you guys find your employees and where? Also, the pads I was using ****ed--green. Do any of you guys know where I can find some good quality pads? Well, take care and hope to hear from you guys. Peace

How did you guys find your employees and where?

I have never hired employees for a cleaning business but I have interviewed 100's of people for sales positions, and I am here to tell ya if you can find a good way to get a good employee every time quit your business and write a book because it would make you rich.

If you want to actually go through the hiring process I can give you some advice. First thing is look through your local employment adds and see how many business's are looking for people in that occupation, if there is allot of demand you will have to do A little research and see what the competition is paying and if they have benefits. If it looks like you will be one of the few then it won't be such a problem.

Once you run the add don't try to pre-screen people on the telephone except for the very basic requirements you may have i.e SSN, Drivers license, Green Card. Other then that do your best not to pre judge until you have gone through the interview process with them.

Have some sort of application made up that each prospect can fill out.

Pre-plan your interview and try to ask each prospect the same questions.

If you plan on doing any back ground checks make sure you have a signed privacy act statement or you can get hit with a $25,000 fine.

This may be a little more then you want to do just getting started, if you a just basically looking for some manual laborers from time to time check out your local job placement agency i.e Labor Ready or Work Force Ready and see what they charge per hour. Normally they will charge you around $8-$10 per hour and they intern pay the laborer minimum wage. That may very depending on your local economy.

Guess I missed this one, when it was posted. What was the problem with the green pads? They do a fine job of scrubbing, however if you were stripping with them, then they probably got a little clogged up.

Black and Brown pads are generally for heavy duty stripping and scrubbing, where as blue, green and red are for mild stripping, and scrub and recoat.

I have used both 3M and SSS aka Triple S with great results on the floor and the life of the pad.