Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

Cleaning out gutters

Question

Well - cleaned out 130 feet of gutters today - took me an hour and a half and charged the customer $150. I figured I could easily do that 3 times a day with all the driving inlcuded - and thought it could be very lucrative. Just a couple ladders, buckets, gloves - and you can gross $2,500 a week by yourself. The only problem - you'd probably never get consistent work like that for more than a week per year if you were lucky - only if. Seems like alot of things in this business are lucrative when you look at it from the point of view of time spent on the job - but when you take in the whole picture - it's tough making a buck. And I got some joker advertizing in the newspaper $45-$75 per average house - LOL. I have spent $20 in gas alone looking at the job and returning to do the work.

1 answer to this question

We've got a 75-99 avg house guy here, his crews do 15 houses a day. Never need to do an estimate, give the range and bill on arrival or pull the sqft info from the county web site. Puts em on a maint plan 2,3 times a year, etc.

Then you plaster advertising all over the place, schedule the 15 houses all within a 5 mile radius, 2 guys with some ladders and a blower.

Guy is making bank, from here down to Maryland.