Sign in to follow this  
Roger Oakley

Nasty Oil Stains on Block Paving

Question

Here are a couple of photos from a job completed last week.

About 20 metres of oil staining on Tegula driveway. Drive had only been down about 5 months so owners not pleased at all. Someone had used the drive to turn around on.

The before.

Oilstainbefore-1.jpg

The after.

Oilstainafter-1.jpg

The stains took three cleans to finally get rid of the carbon shadowing.

9 answers to this question

Doug,

Started with an Xylene degreaser, dwelled then wash off, which took out most of the oil. I then used Hydrochloric Acid ( I have 33% strenght) but made a mix up of 4:1, this moved a bit more stain, then a 3:1 mix, again nearly all the stain and shadow was gone. I then degreasered again, then used a 1:1 Hydrochloric Acid mix, which got the final staining & shadow out. So it was a 18% Hydrochloric Acid mix and the Xylene degreaser that worked, the reason I was stepping it up slowly, is not wanting to burn the face of the pavers and was testing what ratio had the best effect.

Owners are happy, plus this was an insurance claim job so needed to be right.

nice work..pour n restore would do a great job also... nt sure what comanies you have over there..

Here are a couple of photos from a job completed last week.

About 20 metres of oil staining on Tegula driveway. Drive had only been down about 5 months so owners not pleased at all. Someone had used the drive to turn around on.

The before.

Oilstainbefore-1.jpg

The after.

Oilstainafter-1.jpg

The stains took three cleans to finally get rid of the carbon shadowing.

nice work..pour n restore would do a great job also... nt sure what comanies you have over there..

Cody,

Was thinking of calling them, They are in Belgium in Europe, I have some of their samples of the polymeric sand, I just don't have a job small enough to test them.