Sign in to follow this  
jdf

black streak's on gutter

Question

okay need some new idea on cleaning the black stain on

gutters ,yes i have brushed the hell out of them and they are still there ???????thank you david

8 answers to this question

hi paul , ihave tried mostly sodium hydrox. and buty, based stuff .i need to find somthing that will kickit,s butt as i have 88 four plex building's to do ..i demo. one and tried diff. chem to see what was going to work the best and it was a vent a hood cleaner that did the job and no black streak's.and that is what got me the job now got to find somthing esle ........david

ps how cold is ohio iworked in loran at usx -in 88

In my opinion, the best are all Sodium or Potassium Hydroxide or Butyl based products. % of of Sodium or Potassium Hydroxide is critical, and the line where it cleans vs. where it strips can sometimes be fairly thin. If you have a product that's fairly close to working, I would boost it a bit with it's base component (Potassium or Sodium Hydroxide). You would need to play a bit to get the exact proportions to work for you. You can buy raw materials at www.TheChemistryStore.com A 1/2 to 1% boost would be effective.

I think the other key is water hardness, based on observation using the same product(s) which most times worked but sometimes did not work so well. Softer water always seemed to clean better.

These are the ones that I've used brushing and brushless.

Gutter Shock

Gutter Zap

All-Brite

Krud Kutter

thank's paul i have chem . place that will make what i have stronger put it's already on the line of removing paint . i will check water ,but it's city water and i think they have switched system's again

david

David,

Temps. have a big role on how your product cleans. The warmer it is the better its works. I use Gutter Shock and when it hits anything below 60 or so I have to brush the gutters to get them clean.

thank's guy's i think i have found the problem it's the temp. that has changed from 65-70 to 45 -55 . it took me and the chem guy awhile to find it and then we both felt stuipd cause it was looking at us in the face

david

David,

Last week we hit -8F.

This week the night temperature varied from 4 to 25F; days 17 to 35F. Next week looks the same +/- a couple degrees.

We've had snow on the ground for a couple of weeks and we've been alternating between rain and snow as the temperature moves up and down. I can't remember the last day when we had sunshine. Can be depressing for a lot of folks.

I'd settle for some days in the 40's.