Sign in to follow this  
commonwealth

High Rise Window Cleaning ?????

Hello Folks,

This is my first post on this site. I am interested in high rise window cleaning. In my area we don't have a lot of them, maybe only 10 buildings that go over 3 stories.

I spoke with one of them and they are bringing in a company from over 500 miles away to clean them about 4 times a year. They are paying big $$$$'s to have it done.

I have alot of training, background, etc., (15 years) with ropes, climbing, safety, rapalling, etc. so the safety and climbing equipment is not an issue (I hope) for me.

The problem is I have never cleaned any windows. I know there is a pattern that professional window cleaners use with soaping and then squeegy.

Also I have know idea about the time it takes to properly clean a window. As an example, how long should it take to clean a 4x6 window that is ground level. I know it will take more time in the air to reposition yourself for each window.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Greg McDonald

I have seen guys clean windows of this size in a matter of seconds (typically around 10 seconds). They drip a lot of water and soap solution on the ground as they do it, but the windows generally look very good. But, they are also standing on the ground. If you having nothing holding you against the building, I would imagine you would have to go slower to keep from pushing yourself away from the glass as you cleaned (Newton's third law of motion). They are generally using a chamois-type applicator in one hand (around 12" in length sounds about right) and a squeegee in the other (16" - 20").

How were you thinking about doing this? Do the buildings have scaffolds that go down the side, or were you just going to rappel over the edge? I was just curious how you would carry your bucket of solution.

Be careful up there!! I would lose about 10 pounds from stress-sweat every cleaning if it were me! Welcome to the board.

Ryan H.

Ryan,

Thanks for the reply. The buildings don't have scaffolding so I will be using a device that hangs over the wall a preset distance to give you working room. You then set in a chair-like device that has hangers for your bucket etc.

I don't think dripping will be a problem as we will just close the exposed walkway for a few minutes. (At least I hope)

And yes, the sweat-stress factor will be high for a while.

Anyone else ever done this type of work????? Any pointers?????

Thanks

Greg

Hello everyone!

I've been a High Rise Window Cleaner for 15 Years Now and I would STRONGLY Suggest that for this type of work you should find someone who DOES Bosn Chair work And KNOWS What they are doing.... There are way to many things that you need to know(Safety Codes,Techniques,Application of rigging) to Do this Safely and with Confidence.

Find someone to teach You how to do this kind of work or Hire someone Please......

You should 'nt have to worry about sweating at all ! If your not comfortable working(hanging) on ropes in a chair ,

Like I said : I've been doing High Rise Window Cleaning for 15 years and every once in a while a day comes around where I just won't do it because it doesn't feel Right..

I don't mean to scare you....Just my Humble Opinion.

Frenchy

Greg, I haved a background in high rise as well, and I second what Frenchy said. You've got to learn this hands on, not from a book, or bulletin board. I've seen many rock climbing gurus freeze up on the sheer face of a 30 story building, and have to talk them down the side as I clean their windows for them.

Again, no pointers except work for a few months with a reputable company, and then get back with us....

Hello Folks,

Thanks for the last 2 replies. Rest assured guys that before I JUMP off the side of a building I will do everything possible to make myself ready.

As far as my experience goes, I am not a rock climber at all. Every minute of my experience has been in rope rescue and not climbing. I do appreciate your concern though as falling 5-6 stories would probably not be good for my professional wrestling career (lol).

I do have some time in a bos'n seat. We just call it a rescue seat in the rescue business. I also have some experience with a tripod rigging device we use to go over the edge of buildings. We just don't call it the same name as used in high rise window cleaning.

I honestly do feel very comfortable on ropes and the pucker factor will not be a problem. But then to, I have never cleaned windows on rope (or windows at all for that matter).

But the real problem is that there is no local company to get experience with. Thats the main reason I was interested in this field of work. Company's are travaling great distances to get the work around here and they have to be making good money.

I would love to speak with you guys in depth on this stuff.

Again I appreciate any thoughts and concerns.

Keep it coming...

Greg

Greg, you said:

The problem is I have never cleaned any windows.

Windows don't become clean because of the pattern that's used.

First Step: Learn to clean a dirty window on the ground with a strip washer and a squegee.

Greg said:

I know there is a pattern that professional window cleaners use with soaping and then squeegy.

That pattern is called "Fanning" or "Swirling"

Greg said:

I spoke with one of them and they are bringing in a company from over 500 miles away to clean them about 4 times a year. They are paying big $$$$'s to have it done.

I'm sure that there are many window cleaning companies that are closer than 500 miles. Anyway there may be alot of other reasons for that company driving that many miles to do windows.

I'm thinking that maybe this company does the windows for the customer that has other buildings closer to the window cleaning company's base of operation. Some of my customers would rather pay me to drive greater distances because they like my quality work and would rather not look for a local window cleaner.

As far as the big bucks go......

Insurance (Worker's Comp)(Liability)(Health)

Taxes (Social Security)(State Income)(State Unemployment)(Sales)(Self Employment Income)

Expenses(Gasoline)(Cleaning Supplies)(Rigging Equipment)(Manlift rentals)(Employee Benies)and on and on...

I'm not complaining(Well..... maybe a little bit.)

OK What i"m trying to say is try window cleaning on the ground first. If you really LOVE doing it then by all means go for it!!! If your going to do it because your focused on the "BIG BUCKS "then your in for a major letdown..

I would rather do something that I enjoy doing than doing something I have to do because of the money. Follow your Passion and the MONEY will come.

Just my Humble Opinion.

Frenchy

Commonwealth, I think you are suffering from "the grass is greener" syndrom. Look how much that guy is making for just spreading some soap and water then removing it. I can tell you, I do both window cleaning and power washing - they both require a minimum skill set and dedication to perfect the craft.

Both Frenchy and Ryan make great points and will not repeat. I would just add that if you feel that you would like to get involved - get the basic equipment (strip washer, squeggee, surgical towels, chamios, razors, cleaners, etc.) and practice at comfortable ground level (I'm sure you have friends and family that wouldn't mind clean windows). If you need help getting a supplier e-mail me I can tell you who we use, but one basic set up should be available at a good Janitorial supply Co.

Best yet you are missing an oportunity of a life time in Dallas. The PWNA & the IWCA (international Window Cleaners Association) are having a joint convention.

Good Luck, Tim

Greg,

Something to try. Find a grocery store or department store nearby (anything with large picture windows on it, like a Best Buy, furniture store, etc.). Give them an unbeatable deal to clean their windows. The benefit to you is you gain experience in a safer environment than several stories off the ground. Now, you may look stupid, but you should really try this. Setup your rope kit on the building like you would on any high rise building and go from the top of the building down. Try cleaning this way. Doing it in this manner, the only difference between this and high rise cleaning is the distance between you and the ground.....you are still hanging in a harness and cleaning, so you should get the full effect of what will happen on a building. Don't rely on the ground for ANYTHING. Pretend you have 300 ft of air beneath you. Like I said, passersby will think you are the most ridiculous looking person around ("Why doesn't he just stand on the ground and clean it" the smart guys will say), but atleast you have the satisfaction of knowing that you are getting practice for the big jobs. And you don't have to risk life and limb doing it.

Ryan H.

This is where we open the can of worms......LoL

Ryan,

Even if Greg had a rope kit I'm not sure He would be able to complie with all the I-14 Safety Regs required to Perform such an excercise. If your on the side of a building (no matter How High you are) the person on the ropes Needs a working line,and a safetyline which are each capable of sustaining a 5,000 lb load. Each line must be fastened to separate Certified anchor.He needs a full body harness, a 3 or 4 ft long lanyard and a rope grab.He also needs a working knowledge of all the components of the System separate and together. A basic knowledge of self rescue is also paramont before going out on the chair.

It's one thing to try hanging on a chair and ropes from the rafters of a barn somewhere or even rock climbing or rappelling down a rock face. Its another thing to stop,lock the ropes and perform your trade which requires a span of time to complete.It's generally during this span of time that things happen and something goes wrong.The best preparation for this is TRAINING...TRAINING.....TRAINING.!!!

Greg,

The best resources are The International Window Cleaning Association @ www.iwca.com AND The Window Cleaning Net @ www.window-cleaning-net.com.

The folks at the window cleaning net are My most valuable resource for window cleaning and networking

Humbly Submitted,

Frenchy

Frenchy,

Have you had any experience cleaning windows in residential areas with the rope setup? I was curious how you secured your rope (if you use that instead of a ladder). Most of the harness setups I see require the anchor to be fastened to the roof. I have a huge problem with putting holes in my customers' roofs, so I am looking for alternatives. Right now, if I have to use a rope harness, I tie off to some trees or my truck, depending upon the part of the house I am on.

Ryan H.

Ryan,

Are you using a rope setup to power wash or clean windows?

The vast majority of houses(residential)in Conn have a minimum 20 inch overhang or more if they have gutters installed.

Ninety percent of the time I use Ladders to clean windows on residential houses.The other ten percent I use a lift or flip the windows in and clean that way. If i have to get some work done on the roof I just throw a rope over to the other side and tie off to a tree or use a roof ladder that is designed to hook on the

ridge. I haven't had the oportunity to pw a roof yet and while I'm interested in power washing I'm not ready to try something like power washing a roof.

Frenchy,

Thus far I have use the rope setup for doing roofs. Many of the houses going up now have inclines well above 45 degrees (60 degrees is not uncommon, and some are even more steep). On some of these homes, the houses are two and three stories, so I am a little skittish on the ridges of the roofs. I use the rope to secure myself while I spray the roof down with the cleaner. Sometimes I have to rappell down the roof to clean out the gutters. I absolutely HATE climbing on a ladder over about 15 feet high. Hopefully, my days of having to climb are coming to an end. I am going to go the X-Jet route this year and stream the cleaner on the roof from the ground. Hopefully this will not dilute it as much as my previous methods and I won't have to do any climbing.

Ryan H.

Thanks for all the replys,

I will say that I do have a bit of the green grass syndrome. But I am also just looking at ideas for some other business to beel in some free time. High rise was just one option based on my background, I love working on ropes and the fact that I have a ton of equipment, full body harnesses, ropes, ascenders, descenders (both laddre racks and other), caribiners, etc. And also the fact that there is no one doing it.

I have done a little more extensive market research and have found that I have about 12- 3 and 4 story buildings in about a 50 mile radius. I have also found that the closet companys are 100 miles away.

I am still not sure that there is enough business to warrent speding $$$$$ for more equip, insurance (which I am sure is big$$$$$), etc......

Anyway, I do appreciate everyones thoughts and concerns. I am still going to look at this a little harder but I am leaning toward staying away just based on the limited market.

Anything else you guys can add is appreciated.

Greg McDonald

I have done a little more extensive market research and have found that I have about 12- 3 and 4 story buildings in about a 50 mile radius. I have also found that the closet companys are 100 miles away.

Hi all. I've been lurking and I guess it's time to chime in.

Greg, for buildings up to 4 stories I would recommend a water-fed pole and DI setup. It's a lot cheaper and faster.

Your neck and shoulders will cry for mercy but you'll never leave the ground.