Sign in to follow this  
Apple Roof Cleaning

Is This Price Too Low ?

Question

I mainly clean roofs in Tampa, so I am not "up" on national house wash pricing.

But this seems very low priced to me.

$150 Residential Pressure Wash-Home Under 3,000sq.ft. - Raleigh Cleaning, MaintenanceServices - Kijiji Raleigh

For a 3000 sq ft 2 story home, I charge 450.00 to softwash it chemically.

I get about 1/2 the jobs I quote, telling me I am priced about right for my area.

Is this "the way it is" up in the Carolina's ?

Just curious ....

35 answers to this question

I guess I should also qualify the fact that I upsell about 75% of the customers into a basic service package (or better) that I offer. They get the house washed annually (summer) and get a gutter cleaning in the spring and fall. The one story (basic) package is $199 and the two story package is $279. (Depending on services they range up to $769 yearly)

The house washes usually take an hour maybe two the first time and the gutter cleaning takes anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes the first time. The thing is - as you all know - once you have cleaned it properly, it is really easy to keep it clean - same with the gutters. I end up spending maybe 2 to 2.5 hours total on each of the accounts the following year... hence, I am making between $80-100 an hour. Almost every account I have is less than 20 miles away, so gas and drive time isn't a big deal or cost to me. Plus, people see my truck in the spring, summer and fall at their neighbor's house (which looks great) and pretty soon are asking about the service.

That is cool, and MAYBE that is what the original guy I posted about is doing ?

I tried that in roof cleaning a long time ago.

I deliberately priced myself low to place people on yearly maintenance plans.

It was a scheduling and getting paid nightmare, and i almost went broke!

People would "sign up" to get the low priced roof cleaning, then have me come out and yearly spray em, and not pay!

Gas is too expensive, and traffic is too bad to make any money doing yearly maintenance.

People just will not pay a lot to KEEP a roof clean IME.

UNLESS you have a whole subdivision, LOL

And yes - I do have full liability insurance and pay taxes.

Cool !

You MIGHT try putting some Borax into your House Wash ?

Borax

Borax is a cheap, and environmentally friendly disinfectant, bleach, stain remover, and natural deodorant that can be used as a powder, paste or solution. It also softens water and helps soap to function more effectively. Use a borax solution for cleaning especially dirty surfaces such as tiles or sinks. Borax is also an effective insect repellant. To repel ants, sprinkle on entry points of ant infestations. To repel cockroaches, plug cracks and holes where they could enter, and lightly dust with borax, especially around the refrigerator, stove and ductwork

It helps keep insects away from the house, and is a potent cleaner and anti mildew treatment.

It helps keep spider webs and mud daubers nest off a house.

I have a friend here in Florida who has a business spraying houses down with Borax and water to "insect proof" them.

Like I said, roof cleaning is my Main Business.

But we use Borax in our roof cleaning mix called Apple Sauce.

When we clean houses, it is with watered down roof mix.

That has Borax in it.

We TELL the customers about how our house wash mix will help keep insects/cob webs off a house.

This usually sells them.

I do not like to clean houses, and only clean them IF we are doing the roof too.

Otherwise, we walk away, and refer them to pressure washing friends who do not clean roofs.

On the payment front - I set most of my people up on recurring monthly billing via their credit card or checking account. It makes it that much more affordable (an easy) for them. $23.25 a month is not nearly as intimidating as $279 - not to mention less than any other bill they get (plus living in Ohio, I still get paid in Jan, Feb, and March). I do a good deal of work for people whose incomes are sub 50K, they make up about 80% of the population around here. That way I get paid every month and I just go out and do my existing accounts and pick-up whatever else comes my way from the yellow pages and my doorhangers.

199.00 For a two story 2100-2500 sf seems pretty low. I charge about $250 to $275 for a two story depending on detail and mold sometimes even $300. A guy did my neighbors house for 300 and it wasn't even bad and its basically a perfect square. It is about 2100-2200sf.

Dane

Dane I'd take that kinda personal, my neighbor giving his job to some other guy.:lgsad: How'd you let that happen.

On the payment front - I set most of my people up on recurring monthly billing via their credit card or checking account. It makes it that much more affordable (an easy) for them. $23.25 a month is not nearly as intimidating as $279 - not to mention less than any other bill they get (plus living in Ohio, I still get paid in Jan, Feb, and March). I do a good deal of work for people whose incomes are sub 50K, they make up about 80% of the population around here. That way I get paid every month and I just go out and do my existing accounts and pick-up whatever else comes my way from the yellow pages and my doorhangers.

Hats off to you!

I know I cried for a week. I'm still getting over it :lgtear:

No really, It was a lead from the guy who installed the gutters on their house. I did get a chance network with both the guys who did the PWing and the gutter installation.

Dane

I know I cried for a week. I'm still getting over it :lgtear:

No really, It was a lead from the guy who installed the gutters on their house. I did get a chance network with both the guys who did the PWing and the gutter installation.

Dane

Sheet Happens Dane.

My girlfriends Aunt used another roof cleaning company, even hough she KNEW I did this kind of work.

Her "excuse" ?

They were doing everyone on her block, and she didn't want to be "different".

She paid 350 dollars.

Had she asked me, being my girls Aunt, I would have done her almost at my cost, used her corner house for a Yard Sign.

Oh well ..... Sheet Happens ??

Dude thats messed up. Did she know she would get a better product having you do it?

You KNOW how women are Dane ?

The company she did hire did a good job, no dead plants either.

They had a person on the ground, as well as a man cleaning the roof, the right thing to do IMHO for a roof cleaning company.