Sign in to follow this  
rj242

Spray tip?

Question

Hey Guys,

I just bought an airless spray painter and was wondering what size tip would be best for the lowest autominization when applying sealer or stain. I plan on using mostly semitransparent stain. The guy at the paint store, sold me a 311 reversible tip.

Thanks,

RJ

8 answers to this question

rj242, Each product will have this info listed on the can, or check out the product info sheet. It will list tip size, etc. Start here, then you may go up or down for your use. Thank You.

I like the 311 but yea the product info's should give you the best suggestion.

ps- also, going for the lowest atomization may not be the best goal but rather the right amount of atomization. Having a cloud of death that will settle out on horizontals or blow at every whisp/breaze is not good and neither is a splattering/soaking spray that may overshoot it's intended surface. It is best to be adjusted so that what doesn't hit the surface does disipate into a somewhat under control mist. Besides that with the big airless painters you adjust the pressure to where your shooting an oval or fan shape without having a figure 8 to it.... I'de say if you have to turn down so much to avoid the cloud that you loose yer fan totally then the tip size would be too large for that product.

Terry thanks for the info.

It is a Spraytech PF30 (5/8hr, 3000psi, .3gpm. A friend of mine at the paint store recommended it. He said I could pay more and get the Titan, but for me, doing 6-12 decks a year, this would be all I needed.

Thanks for the replies!

Rj

What product recommends or is good with those sizes Rich?

...Anyone else use those sizes?

Hi Kevin,

Painting with interior latex, 515 is always a good tip of choice to begin with.

If your pump has the capacity to produce more volume, at pressure, without flagging, or banding, you can increase to 615, or 517, 519 for better production rate.

Exterior latex products are generally heavier bodied and 615 is most likely a better starting point.

The little spraytech pump mention only produces .3gpm, so tip will need to remain small, and product well strained, to prevent it from flagging.

Best to use a little pump like that for trim work, or lacquer.

We had some of those. Titan or Graco are better pumps, and you'll pay more for them.

In real world practice, using a 615, 617, 0r 619 you can "throw" product a bit farther giving you more reach, when doing exterior work.

Cutting the pump's pressure back, and using 617 or 619 for exterior deck staining, or fencing will cut down on overspray.

Even a bigger tip could be used for staining a fence, or other coarse boards... but things DO happen really fast!

Have fun!

Yea if I find the need to put out some major amounts of product I'd goto the 19's. Gonna stick with the .011 orifice and 6" fan size for much of my railing and pergola work. I like the tight control. On those I like to put out just enough to where I am still in a position to do a wet on wet without getting runs if need be or having too much back brushing. I find it very important to not do too much with the single coat alkyds.

With my machine the 415 is working good with lots of products too. I really like it with solid cabots. Need to for sure pick up a 517 though to see how productive it can be with the thicker stuff.

Here's a tip info that may help some folk: Understanding Airless Spray Tips - Airless Reversible Spray Tips & Tip Bases