Sign in to follow this  
jeffex11

help finding 12% sodiumhypochlorite in MD

Question

I'm in Maryland and am looking for some 12% sodiumhypochlorite . any help? pool supply? I want to try it on a roof and I have switched to using bleach when doing siding as well to kill mold better than just vinyl cleaner.

13 answers to this question

Jeff, I'm in Baltimore county and i get mine from a company called namco which is about an hour from you. Sunbrite supply is in the germantown area which might be 30 minutes from you, I'm really not sure.

16620 Oakmont Ave, Gaithersburg, MD 20877

(301) 519-9274

heres the address and number

only buy one than call manufacture and order 2 pallets we pay 1.11per gal the pool places are charging $3 costing $15 for a five plus $6 for the container deposit. KEEP YOUR COST DOWN ALLWAYS BUY DIRECT AND REPAIR AND DESIGN YOUR OWN RIGS call me i can tech you how to sucseed on the phone with the manufacture.

Wayne is right on the cost from the pool places, it's high. I would love to buy a pallet of chlorine, but I don't have a cool, shaded place to keep it. Chlorine degrades faster that you think. My pool place, namco, is full of idiots. They place their pallets in the front window, in full sunlight. Many times I had to talk to a manager( 18 yr old kid!) to get a refund because I went to a job with a 5 gal jug of "sweet smelling water" I educated them on the reason for this and they moved it to the back of the store. The next year, different manager, back in the window.

do you go to the namco in westminster / that is 25 min from my house. I have been using "outdoor bleach" from home depot that is bleach and sufficant for cleaning vinyl siding and some early porch cleaning this march. I use vinyl brite normaly for siding but the bleach is MUCH better at killing the mold. I too don't want to stock the stuff as I mainly do decks so I just buy convienence and price accordingly. I want the 12% stuff to make a mixture someone on this site told me about that was effective for him. I am emphasizing sales of paver cleaning and sealing this year to get the flat work but I still havent given up on roof cleaning since my territory is ripe for the picking. If I get the work I may buy in bulk for cost savings

How did that "outdoor" bleach work? I'm doing job to job chems until I get going and was wondering about that stuff but it was high priced if I remember correctly. Does anyone know if it's different than plain bleach?

worked great at 3 to 1 dilution rate on vinyl siding and moldy painted surfaces. be careful of fumes . 3 parts water and 1 part cleaner in a pump sprayer is what I used

I was told of a formula for roof cleaning that needed 9% bleach + soap for the best spray and rinse action. The applesauce formula is simular so I need 12 % to start with to make it happen. I have done some roofs with 6% ( I get mine at food lion too) and vinyl brite and made money but I had to hit the roof with the pressure washer a little too hard for my taste. I backed the nozzel way off the shingles but I still need more power from the cleaner to go after more of this work. Yesterday I powerwashed a house and across the street there were at least 10 houses with black stains on the roof facing north. the home depot outdoor bleach has a sufficant in it as well as bleach. It is expensive but I can mix it 3parts water to 1 part and it is effective so I used 1/2 a gallon to do this house. I bought it for conveinence.

I am looking into doing roofs as well, how are you applying this? downstreaming off a ladder or on the roof? If I were to downstream wouldnt it add more water and diluting the bleach even more..How exactly are you rinsing it off? sorry for the newb questions

You guys need to get on the roof forum here. It will provide alot of answers to your questions. 9% shouldn't be needed for roof cleaning. Do it under proper conditions and 4%-6% will work nicely.

Jeff

I found some 10% HTH pool sodium hypochlorite and it worked well on a garage roof I did several wks ago. It was several patches of mold on a 20 x 40 area of the garage and I was able to hit it lightly with a 40 degree nozzle about 8 to 10 inches off the shingle to rinse. It took one final spray of cleaner and it killed the last of the stain. My rinsing setup would need to be better to do more roofs but this was an add on to cleaning the black stains from the gutters. I haven't committed to being a roof guy just yet although I built a website and b & a postcards to promote it if I get better at it. I guess I need a touch more confidence in NOT F'n up someones roof and loosing my a$$.