Sign in to follow this  
Cajun Cleanin

Double pane windows

Question

Does anyone else use the fogged up or cloudy double pane windows that you find from time to time on homes when you're giving a bid?

I tell them when I find them for two reasons 1)I don't want to be responsible for them and 2) I tell them that they could have been caused by an inexperienced person with a power washer putting to much pressure on the outside pane causing the inert gas to be pushed out and air pulled in when the pressure is removed from the glass.

If you have another sales pitch that use use regarding these cloudy panes I would like to hear them,if you want to share part of your sales pitch that is.

1 answer to this question

Maybe I can help here. I spent almost 10 years in the glass field, many of them making double pane windows (or units as we called them). There are two types: The ones I made use two pieces of glass with a metal frame seperating them. The frame is hollow and filled with little tiny beeds called desiccant that absorbe moisture. The two pieces of glass are sealed with a hot substance called butyl. In about 10 minutes it cools. Presto, a sealed unit. The desiccant doesn't last forever, about 15 years or so. When it cannot absorbe moisture any longer the window begins to fog. The other method to make a "unit" is to make a fully enclosed double pane without the metal frame. It may have the air vacuumed out or a gas pumped in (or both). If the glass is broken, even a slight crack, it will fog over time. If it's a newer window the H.O. can get a replacement from the factory. Older windows can be custom made with the desiccant and metal interior frame at a reasonable cost.

Well, I hope this helps.

Rick