Sign in to follow this  
Yolanda

To Prestain or Not to Prestain-What is the answer?

Question

Hello Everyone,

I would like to know if prestaining wood .i.e. decks is optional. If not, what do I use before applying my stain? I am planning on using Baker's or Ready Seal. I am just starting and I need to do it right the first time. Please let me hear from you.

Thank you,

Yolanda

5 answers to this question

Honestly I have no idea about wood, since we do not mess with wood. On the other hand, before you do ANY customers job. Try it out on your own wood deck first. Nothing could be worse than listening to everybody's advice, and you "thinking" you follow it, and *poof*, your customers whole deck is a mess.

So I would suggest you try it on your own wooden deck first, or anything else, just don't make your customer the first one for you to experience "wood staining" on .. just my .02 cents =]

What ya mean by prestaining?..

Neither of those products should be hard to work with. Just soak the heck out of the wood with two coats. If it new wood some would say wait abit (couple week to couple month) so wood will take stain better. If there is no mill glaze and the wood has been cleaned of nasty extractives I say go for it and get some oil in there that way ya minimize warping,uv graying,etc. from the weather..Some wood can start to show uv gray or at least a real mellowing to it's brightness in less than a month.

Pat/Kevin

I just thought a "primer type" wood conditioning step before staining might have been necessary to prepare the surface to receive the stain. After I order my products, I will test before I go out to work. Kevin, after researching the stated stains, I feel that they are great choices to work with. I am aware that there are other great products out there, but I will only commit to a few for now. I sincerely thank both of you for your prompt responses.

Yolanda