Sign in to follow this  
PressureX

What is it called?

Question

Ok, so I dont deal with decks, fences, wood in general, but i am curious to find this out from the "wood pros" ;)

What is it called when, for instance, the fence posts turn a very very light green / white color (mostly on the bottom half here)?

What causes it, and how do you "get rid" of it?

It seems to look like discoloration in the wood itself ...

just curious.

Thanks fellas.

12 answers to this question

I hope these pics are good enough. I noticed my blackberry doesnt show TOO much detail when sun if fully shining on it, lol. But I hope yall can see the difference.

Thanks for killing my curiosity :p

post-3785-137772202639_thumb.jpg

post-3785-137772202651_thumb.jpg

post-3785-137772202662_thumb.jpg

My best guess is there is two issues on the white...sprinkler/watering damage is main issue and then sun bleaching.

The water leaves minerals that turn white when dry and leach the naturals out. The sun hits the bottom more than the shaded tops.

Solution: use oxalic, refeed the wood, and/or change the watering and shading

Refeed the wood? You mean seal it....

Look, if that is from the pressure treatment, cleaning will help over time...if it is at the bottom, it could be splash up, from rain or a sprinkler take your pick. Also I would two step the cleaning, don't just hit it with acid, that's not the whole process.....

Beth

p.s. Pressure Washing and Contractor Cleaning Forums - The Grime Scene - FAQ: FAQ’s on Wood Restoration

Im not really looking into trying to "fix" the issue, im still iffy about wood, and probably won't touch it (even my own backyard, lol) without goin to a seminar or something first. I was just curious what would cause it.

Thanks for the awesome replies :)

Ok Beth..not "refeed" but rather "feed" that wood after deposits removed!

What ya mean "if it is at the bottom"?.. he said it was and the pictures show as such..least on my screen anyways.

He aired only his interest in situation so didn't feel a need to describe a whole process...Forget I said oxalic or feeding wood Pat. :)

Ok Beth..not "refeed" but rather "feed" that wood after deposits removed!

What ya mean "if it is at the bottom"?.. he said it was and the pictures show as such..least on my screen anyways.

He aired only his interest in situation so didn't feel a need to describe a whole process...Forget I said oxalic or feeding wood Pat. :)

Hey the way I look at it, anything worth doing, is worth doing right. ;)

Beth

You need to wash it, diluted stripper would do the trick, then neutralize it. Then seal it or not as you see fit. An acid bath alone will not ( I don't think) remove the green, and will add to the silver. If it is pressure treatment, you need to draw it out of the wood, thus the stripper. If it is mineral staining, same thing.

If you want nice looking wood, 2 step the fence.

Beth