Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

Reaching out to a fellow contractor

Question

So there is this guy in my area - and he is professional in the sense that he has all the equipment of a pro - has been in business in landscaping and pressure washing for 15+ years - but his pricing is soooo ridiculously low. You think it would make sense to reach out to the guy and invite him to join these forums? I am thinking maybe he would become better educated and not leave all sorts of crazy money on the table. What do you all think?

10 answers to this question

I think many such people could bennefit from that Dan and you may even gain a friend out of it!

Realistically though there is a huge percentage of really good pro's of their trade that are just not into learnin new tricks. You'de think everyones got the net but nope they don't nor are they interested. Many also can see nothing but volume or keeping status quo. Soem even show personality traits of going headlong before research. If all did their research on even just the basic thing of price all would get along better both contractor to contractor or customer to contractor relations...Ok, think that opens the door enough for the next guy to talk about lowballers..lol :)

In a perfect world we'd all talk and figure out pricing and not step on each others toes. Not ever gonna happen, but its a nice happy thought. Just keep up your diligence on learning and moving forward, and soon those folks will be in your rear view mirror. I've talked with a few guys in my area that are registered users of these BBS, and really, they're the only ones who I'd ever refer work to, or take referrals from. Tell the guy to get in the 21st century, and check this out. Knowledge is everything.

I am very open to meeting all my contractors is my area and these rd tables are a good way to do it.

My philosophy is to help others and it will be rewarded, occasionally it will bite you in rear end and if someone does bite you, chances are they are not going to be in business long and I don't consider them a threat.

I personally like to work with other contractors in my area, its kinda cool when one calls me and asked for advise or help on a job and its good to know I can ask for their help as well.

Don't waste your time. The fact that you have to explain pricing to this guy means that he's too ignorant to get it anyways. I know from experience.

I just can't say how much I love Jarrod's responses - quick to the point, and always classic. I should this guy a DVD of Rosco's classic pricing program - whipper schnapper.

LOL.

I hate typing, so I always cut to the chase.

On the phone, I'm a blabber mouth, but on the boards, I'm not blabber fingers.

I'd ask yourselves, "Where would you be if no one helped you?" My 2 cents. Thank You.

I hear ya Terry, BUT, 15 years of stupid just can't be fixed.