Sign in to follow this  
Mountain View

Deffuring Ipe

Question

On an Ipe deck I recently stripped there was still some residual stain in a few places. I took my Osborn brush and hit those areas then did a light buff on the rest of the deck to remove any fuzzies. On the areas of residual stain I had to buff harder to get the stain out. The result seemed to be that I buffed below the top layer of wood that was lighter do to the the stripping down to, for lack of a better phrase, "moist wood" that is the natural Ipe color. The question is, when I apply the stain, am I likely to see a difference in the final shade(s) of the wood as a result of this? I will test a small area where this difference is but does anyone have experience of this and what I'm likely to see?

Thanks.

5 answers to this question

Yes, you will see it as a darker area. Here is a pic of a deck that I sanded a reference line into (stupid), and when it was stained you could see it. It's kind of hard to see so I circled it. I also just did the maintenance coat on this one and the stain was mostly gone from that line. It was grayer than the rest. So be careful when blending because any over sanding you do, on top of what you already did, isn't going to weather the same. The good thing is that you can't see it after the second application.

post-1620-137772202753_thumb.jpg

Yes, you will see it as a darker area. Here is a pic of a deck that I sanded a reference line into (stupid), and when it was stained you could see it. It's kind of hard to see so I circled it. I also just did the maintenance coat on this one and the stain was mostly gone from that line. It was grayer than the rest. So be careful when blending because any over sanding you do, on top of what you already did, isn't going to weather the same. The good thing is that you can't see it after the second application.

What stain is that?

Thanks Beth!

This was Wood Tux BS. Here are a couple more from the same job. I might have posted these already. I just finished the first maintenance coat on this one, it went well.

post-1620-137772202774_thumb.jpg

post-1620-137772202785_thumb.jpg