Sign in to follow this  
nick_nite

hd-80

Question

I ordered some HD-80 and we tried it out today on a solid stain, acrylic

didnot even dent it..............We have used f-18 in the past as well with no effect either but worked better than hd-80.

I did boost the hd-80 and still did not dent the stain.

In my painting business we have stripped all different types of paint and stain

the last good stripper we used was Back To Nature(industrial) but thats $75.00 a gallon.

I have 3 good sized stripp jobs lined up but ready to tell HO to replace deck boards......

nick---www.paintingexperts.com

15 answers to this question

Yeah, dont be temted to take up the 'challange' (potential nightmare) of stripping these decks. Can you flip the deckboards? Nailed in or screwed down? Species of wood? May be most profitable for you to just, 1. Pass, 2.) Flip, or 3. Tear out, Replace. Tearing out and replacing will be FAR more profitable for you than playing around any longer with stripping. Time is money and stripping woes are the worst~

I'll second that....

..oh and $75 for stripper is out of this world.Next time you got a tough catalyzed finish to remove think about going to an autobody supply house to find Aircraft Stripper..that or Jasco will remove just about anything...

these outdoor stain removal jobs though only require a super concentrated mix as Dan mentiones along with a good dwell.

Take your individual ingredients and multiply by a factor of 6x to allow for downstream applications... :)

I'll second that....

..oh and $75 for stripper is out of this world.Next time you got a tough catalyzed finish to remove think about going to an autobody supply house to find Aircraft Stripper..that or Jasco will remove just about anything...

these outdoor stain removal jobs though only require a super concentrated mix as Dan mentiones along with a good dwell.

Take your individual ingredients and multiply by a factor of 6x to allow for downstream applications... :)

Kevin - I believe that is the most straightforward writing that I have ever read {tried to read} from you. What gives?

My point was after adding the labor and material for the strip job would be cheaper to build a new deck........

The spread rate for the $75.00 stripper is 50 sq ft a gallon.

Thanks anyway, I will know better next time to ask such a stupid question

thats pretty straightforward.

..........cheaper to build a new deck? No way.

You don't always need to apply the stripper full strength. Once you get used to stripping, it gets easier, it really does. Hang in there. :)

Beth

My point would be this... If your really eagr to tackle this strip job, as daunting as it may appear, that is, if you have the time in your books and need the extra $$$, than go for it! The advice your getting from the pros on this forum is worth its weight in gold. Me, on the other hand, I'd skip it. Not because Im uncertain as to whether or not these chems that have been recomended to you wouldnt be sufficient if professionally administered, but because I find in an average month, I do better skipping the nasty acrylic strip jobs and focusing my attention on the not so nasty ones. Love to see you knock this one out Nick, but not if it means you lose your arse with respect to time and materials. I'd advise the client that they should seriously consider replacing the deckboards. How many sq. ft. again? Did you look into flipping them?

The deck is 5 yrs old, first finish was a Ben Moore oil cedar toner, the next was a oil solid stain , the next was an acrylic, then another one.

This info according to homeowner...... I ve stripped all types of paints over the years, my comment was about the HD-80 and F-18.and being cost wise.

My quote for the deck was fine there is plenty of room for the strip just dont htink its worth the effort.

You are right I do appreciate the advice from the forum members, thanks again.

nick

House Painters | Think Painting - Plymouth County Painters - Rhode Island Painting Contractors

Well I use both HD-80 and F-18. Love them both. Cost-wise, i think its a non-issue, frankly. That is, used alone, both are equally effective (IMO). You mentioned that you have built in enough margin for strip, which is good starting point, but is this job really, as you put it, "worth the effort"? Guess you can only answer that. I rarely see solids or acrylics in my neck the woods. How do I get that lucky you ask? This is what works for me: Whenver I'm at the front doorstep of a prospective clients house, after I ring the bell, but before they answer, I cross my fingers, look at my shoes and whisper to myself, "Please, no solids, please, no acrylics..."

Two step the F'er. Lay on a few coats of sulfuric acid with lots of surfactant - soak it in real good - like you are soaking wallpaper with diff. When the wood can't possibly accept anymore sulfuric acid - hopefully it's dwelled for a solid 2 hours. Then start spraying on HD-80 at full strength. But make sure you personal protection gear is something like an astronaught suit - with plenty of respirators!

Two step the F'er. Lay on a few coats of sulfuric acid with lots of surfactant - soak it in real good - like you are soaking wallpaper with diff. When the wood can't possibly accept anymore sulfuric acid - hopefully it's dwelled for a solid 2 hours. Then start spraying on HD-80 at full strength. But make sure you personal protection gear is something like an astronaught suit - with plenty of respirators!

Or, just move on...