Sign in to follow this  
James

Test spots for Wood Restoration( DECKS)

Question

With the change in the VOC laws. The last 5 yrs also have brought many changes to sealers. With the addition of Silicone and Acrylics is has made Wood Restoration very difficult and time consuming to figure out what direction to take. Doing a test spot is a must and you have to carry many to see what works. Because the home owner usually doesn't remember what was put on.

This year I have had 5 decks take an hour to figure out what to do and still be not sure I was correct. I was also it seemed the the last resort for these people because that had gone through many other opinions or had already tried and failed at a resolution. This problem is only going to get worse in the future.

I am starting to charge for test spots 50 to 100 dollars and give an opinion how to solve the problem.

6 answers to this question

I carry a sample of many types of stripper and some that can go 24 hrs. Plus other means of commming up with a solution.

I have become a consultant out of being a respected pro anyway. It's time to get paid for the trouble and for the solution. I'm batting 100% at the present time for wood restoration jobs anyway. Test spots are to time consuming now.

Dan, I don't do any wood restore without test spot.

Im learning to do test spots when I do the estimate. I keep a spray bottle of stripper in the truck and if I am not sure of the stripability of a deck I will do it right there that way I do not need to come back.