Sign in to follow this  
KC Deck

Competitors opinions....

Question

I gave an estimate yesterday on a relatively small cedar deck. I use TWP, and have always had good results. The homeowner received another estimate after I had left. Apparently this other guy said he uses Sherwin Williams Deckscapes and says the TWP is a transparent stain, unlike deckscapes which is a semi-transparent stain. He also tells the homeowner he only does one coat because if you do more than one coat, the stain will crystallize on the wood. He also said TWP 100 is a consumer grade stain, and is not as good as TWP 200, 300, or deckscapes.

I just thought this was kind of funny and had to share it with someone who would understand.

Oh, by the way, I got the bid.

4 answers to this question

Yea we all run into the fella that will put down a product rather than recognizing there is different strokes for different folks. Rather than explaining that each type can have its benefits and require different technique or coats they claim one is better without weighing things out.

My latest is that some trusted friend of a customer claims my process (same as most here) is improper and sanding is the way to go on her deck. Of course they surely haven't the forsight to see the fastners not being recessed or the type and condition of the stain. I would almost pay to watch how the other guy is gonna tackle the outer rails/ spindles on double decks both up in the air.

KC - That's a hoot! We use TWP almost exclusively, and Sherwin is our supplier. I'm always giving my S.W. rep a hard time about deckscapes, as I find it an inferior product compared to TWP. He just laughs and continues to send me my bills for the hundreds of gallons of TWP we consume each season.

Here's an interesting point about TWP: When we had some issues with a different preservative we were using, I worked directly with the U.S. Forestry Lab & Research Dept. in Madison, WI who had completed extensive testing of different exterior wood finishes (preservatives, stains, oils, latex). Preservatives were the highest recommended finishes, with TWP being among the top recommended.

The one thing about TWP is that it sometimes does not produce as rich a finish appearance unless you do a two coat, wet on wet application. You can't let it dry and reapply while performing the initial application. We do two coat for cedar siding, but only single coat for decks. As we have a five year program with an annual maintenance service for our deck clients, the single coat finish is not a problem. Participation of the annual maintenance is 97%, doing nearly 200 decks this spring.

You never know what your competitors are going to say about you. Let your reputation speak for itself. I never get caught up in "bashing" my competition. I do, however, offer opinions on what seperates us from them, and may occasionally include bad experiences their past clients have had with them. Even with our pricing structure being higher than all our competition, we close a high percentage of prospects receiving multiple bids. We let our work and reputation do the selling. Good job on nailing the account KC!