Sign in to follow this  
fireandrain

Spraying Stain 2nd Story Cedar Shake Exterior??? Any Ideas? Pictures of This One.

Question

Well, I got that big cedar shake house exterior strip/clean-up job started last week. Its looking great. I ended up shooting 2-3x percarbs, let it dwell and long range rinsing with a 12' lance. I was relieved that I didnt have to try and rig up a big ladder on that sloped terrain beneath the work areas, i.e. didnt have to get too close to the shingles to get it done and looking nice and bright.

So, the next step is getting my RS Med. Red up there on that exterior!

Can anyone chime in on the best way to spray sealer at long range, like 20ft?

I'd really like to avoid having to use that ladder set up as the ground beneath is super irregular and sloped down hill. I can already taste that RS in my mouth trying shoot 20 ft. up on a ladder a surface thats right in front of my face! Not to mention getting a consistent looking finish with all the fandanglin' around from a ladder up there!

I remember once seeing someone's "long distance" stain sprayer set up. ANyone recall that or have a similarly effective set up suggestion for getting that stain up there without relying on a crappy ladder situtation?

post-1749-137772206055_thumb.jpg

post-1749-13777220606_thumb.jpg

post-1749-137772206063_thumb.jpg

8 answers to this question

Well, I got that big cedar shake house exterior strip/clean-up job started last week. Its looking great. I ended up shooting 2-3x percarbs, let it dwell and long range rinsing with a 12' lance. I was relieved that I didnt have to try and rig up a big ladder on that sloped terrain beneath the work areas, i.e. didnt have to get too close to the shingles to get it done and looking nice and bright.

So, the next step is getting my RS Med. Red up there on that exterior!

Can anyone chime in on the best way to spray sealer at long range, like 20ft?

I'd really like to avoid having to use that ladder set up as the ground beneath is super irregular and sloped down hill. I can already taste that RS in my mouth trying shoot 20 ft. up on a ladder a surface thats right in front of my face! Not to mention getting a consistent looking finish with all the fandanglin' around from a ladder up there!

I remember once seeing someone's "long distance" stain sprayer set up. ANyone recall that or have a similarly effective set up suggestion for getting that stain up there without relying on a crappy ladder situtation?

Honestly spraying sealer at 20' feet sounds like a huge mess and a bad idea

Matt, Are those pics before or after brightening/neutralizing?

Can't imagine how your to do the fine/cut in work around the gutters and windows without being up there. If I wanted to try and get out of some of the hand cut in work a china bristle off telescopic pole may work on a few areas. The main shooting I would do with 24" wand off ladder. Dig it in if need be or have someone hold it below. Use low flow tip to get in tight so yer cut in work is just a few inches..

Not certain how this would work for you - we had really nice flat terrain but we stain through our Coress Wand:

LOoks PERFECT Celeste! I'll look into adding one of these into my line-up ASAP!

Kev~ LOL, no those pics are before, not afters! Ill get those afters soon. And, yup, I'll definetely up there w/ cut-in and clean-up around those gutters. RS is great that way, doesnt set up sticky too quickly, easy to take care of after the spraying is through. Spray bottle filled w/ Mineral Spirits does the trick every time.

Curious what these Coress set ups cost....

spend the time masking everything off . I have a 10 ft extension for my airless gun that I used on high decks. I use a 12 ft step ladder to give me even more height . Your can also rent a genie lift and be done in 1/2 a day once you have it masked off the spraying is quick. Ingenuity my friend puts money in your pocket by saving time. I sprayed painted some houses before and it is remarkable how much control you have with the airless spray gun and a edger tool.

Not to be the nay sayer here but I have seen the results of jobs where mineral spirits were sprayed onto siding to remove the overspray, never removed and a year later the siding turned black in the same areas. The homeowners were none to pleased.

As far as working on ladders and sloped terrain; I would suggest investing in auto-levelers and stabilizers. They help tremendously and allow us the ability to work safely. Mind you, our guys also have a roofing harness with fall arrest equipment on as well.

Rod!~