Sign in to follow this  
814jeffw

Liquid peroxide or percarbonate?

Question

I have been using percarbonate for deck cleaning, don't like mixing it. I was wondering if anyone has ever bought 30% liquid peroxide? I understand it to be volatile. But just would like to hear others' opinions on it. Probably not as cost effective but, like I said don't like the mixing.

Jeff

4 answers to this question

Hydrogen Peroxide, CAS # 7722-84-1

Incompatibilities and Reactivities: Oxidizable materials, iron, copper, brass, bronze, chromium, zinc, lead, silver, manganese [Note: Contact with combustible material may result in SPONTANEOUS combustion]

That was an excerpt from the N.I.O.S.H. pocket guide to chemical hazards. Now, from what I understand, Hydrogen Peroxide can basically destroy fasteners because it reacts with the metals in them.

Given the potential that one may be transporting not only hydrogen peroxide but bleach and percarbonates as well, in the event of an accident and the possibility of them getting mixed together equals a serious situation.

I understand not liking mixing, but really, is it worth it to explore something that the industry at large has decidedly left alone?

Use warm water to get better mixing but be glad you have the luxury of powders available to keep them inactive till you are ready to activate them.

food for thought...

Rod!~

Ok, I use 1 cup sodium percarbonate per gallon of water. Is the an average or is it too much or to little. It seems to work fast, maybe too fast. Maybe I can cut it back some and make the mixing easier. About what percent is my mix? If anyone can tell me. Thanks!!

Jeff