Sign in to follow this  
Jon

Samples

Question

Am I wrong is is the person from a unmentioned company here wrong?

"Samples are available for purchase on the website or you can phone me to purchase smaller (one gallon and 10lb) boxes."

I won't say the company but to me a sample is FREE, to purchase means to buy and that to me is NOT a sample.

Your opinion here folks.

My policy is to try before I buy, every company out there selling supplies and cleaners to us claims to have the BEST product, most to me are pretty standard in what goes in to making that product.

There are some that truly are better I am sure, I have tried a few and if not for the cost of shipping across the country might consider buying them but sheesh a pint sample for testing to be sure it does the job to my and my customers satisfaction first please.

4 answers to this question

Jon,

We are no longer in the 60's or 70's (as much as we wish) where samples were always considered FREE.

In todays marketing schemes, not all samples are created equal:

While my local Prosoco distributor provides me with FREE product samples (in most cases in gallon containers), Cabot sells their small cans of stain samples for $5 each.

Some other vendors charge S&H for samples which are applied toward the purchase of products.

I can't say never, but I seldom buy product samples since I consider selling samples another way for manufacturers to make money. Image, there once was a company that wanted to charge me for brochures that I can hand out to my customers so I can sell their product. For some reason I will never remember the name of that company.

Samples ? What's that. I can only say that going with "Cabot on their siding stains and deck stains has been the best thing to happen when it comes to samples. Samples to them is just that "Free" They sent me 62 4 oz cans of different stains for siding and decks, not to mention nice stickers for the trailer/truck, wood pallet, all the brochures I could ask for etc.... "All of this for free for me to use their product"

Sorry for the ramble, but when I find a good distributor or manufacturer, I talk them up. And of course Cabot has out did themselves.

I am will Paul B. on this one. Samples once did mean free of charge to sample. Not anymore. Everyone is tryin to make a buck.

Some companies say that since they do not know the difference between a potential customer, and a sample collector, that they charge. If you do order more product, then most will credit you for the sample. Always ask, as they probably will.

Same goes for catalogs, they charge for it and the shipping, but most will send a coupon to use when you order.

I would have no problem paying shipping cost for a gallon or half gallon sample, should not cost more then $5.00.

Most, not all but most local distributors of pressure washing supplies have private label stuff, some made by local mixer companies, others from major manufacturers with a private label on it, either way most are equal, same stuff, same or almost same formula.

Buy a gallon, pay $40 plus S&H and if you buy more we credit you, what they say, I say no sample to test to be sure it works no deal. Like I said I have spent hundreds of dollars doing that only to give most away.

Ask Alan, I just gave him two gallons that cost $85 plus S&H, product was well known and did not do the job.

I agree we are not in the 60s and 70s but still any well known major company should look at the good will it does, Paul, Alan, Jon any name gets a gallon sample, test it, likes it and post all over the boards how good the product is.

Others listen, others will buy and try and the company grows bigger with more sales. Like doing a freebie job, total job free almost always lands the account.