Sign in to follow this  
D_Tagr

Inexperienced Window Cleaner Needs Help

Hope one of you window guys can help out with my noob questions.

First off here are the pics.

I don't have a water fed pole system but I do have access to a 30ft Genie (man lift) and a pressure washer. So my plan is to downstream some sudsy ammonia, brush and then squeegee. I don't have DI but our water here is naturally soft.

Is there a better way with my limited equipment and experience?

Also I have no idea how to bid this, or how long it will take. There are a total of 117 individual panes (glass between frames) of varying sizes. I thought I might go $2.75-$3.50 or so and estimate 4 hrs.

This is definitely not my cup cup of tea. Please relieve me of my noobish ways.

I'd just squeegee that. From the looks of it you could use a 30 foot Unger pole, but if you already have the man lift, and don't have the pole, the manlift would work too. For outside only I would plan on two hours and $255. For inside and out I would plan on three hours and $375. If they went monthly or even quarterly they would get a discount.

I don't consider pressure washing a form of true window cleaning. In order to really get the windows clean (to remove bird droppings and bird stuff) you would have to use quite a bit of pressure. That pressure can (and will) damage the seals and create leakage problems.

So would you be bidding this per pane? By hour? Some other basis?

I'm not a "true" window cleaner that's for sure but I'll try it. If I like it and I make money I'll take a serious interest.

Thanks for the help.

Hey Bro, I would not recomend cleaning windows with a PWer. If you don't have a water pole and DI water use the old wand and a sqeegee and microfiber towls. Since you have a man lift you shouldn't have to much trouble reaching. Are you doing the inside as well. After you figure in your expences and equipment you should charge about $5 per pane of glass. From what I can see in the pics $350 + man lift for outside. If your doing the inside as well then + $5(panes). Since your new it may take you longer than expected.

Equipment you'll need:

18", 12", 8", squeegee

18" wash wand These you can buy at Homecheapo or Lowes

Microfiber towels only!!! Sams Club has a pack of 25 for $10

Chem: abcwindowcleaningsupply.com Glissen...Awesome stuff!!!!

Dane

Hey Bro, I would not recomend cleaning windows with a PWer. If you don't have a water pole and DI water use the old wand and a sqeegee and microfiber towls. Since you have a man lift you shouldn't have to much trouble reaching. Are you doing the inside as well. After you figure in your expences and equipment you should charge about $5 per pane of glass. From what I can see in the pics $350 + man lift for outside. If your doing the inside as well then + $5(panes). Since your new it may take you longer than expected.

Equipment you'll need:

18", 12", 8", squeegee

18" wash wand These you can buy at Homecheapo or Lowes

Microfiber towels only!!! Sams Club has a pack of 25 for $10

Chem: abcwindowcleaningsupply.com Glissen...Awesome stuff!!!!

Dane

Thanks Dane!!

Excellent little web site they have there. Got a kit coming now. I'm only going to do exterior windows here. I've got an allergy to working indoors.:)

I had estimated somewhere around this price too!

A Sorbo squeegee will save you a lot of time and trouble, especially since it'll be new to you. Sorbo's are the best squeegee you can use if your using a pole. The most important tip I can give you is to not wet the top of each frame (if you have too, make sure to wipe it dry before you squeegee). If you get the top wet it can drip for hours. The Sorbo helps with this, because of the angle of the handle and channel. I suggest a 24' or 30' "black mamba" Sorbo.

I hate indoor working as well. I am in the process of closing all my window accounts. I just hate cleaning windows with a passion! But if it is something you like go for it.

Dane

call any time-