Sign in to follow this  
NewYorkBoraPL

Will HD-80 remove loose wood particles?

Question

I went to an estimate today and the potential clients thought they would save themselves some funds if their relative pressure cleaned their deck for them and a contractor sealed/stained it. Nevertheless, this relative used an excess of pressure and this can be seen on the wood. There are "fuzzies" on the wood which you can see with the naked eye and feel with your fingers.

*Am I wishfully thinking that a caustic stripper like HD-80 will remove these loose wood particles or will this deck have to be sanded?

7 answers to this question

I'm not a full time deck guy, but sure sounds like furring to me. Stripper will just make it worse. No real choice but to sand or the finished product will not be very nice. Tell them to get the same relative and have him/her start sanding!!

Jeff

Ought not blaim fur or fuzzies on the pressure or washer. Some wood just does it while giving up the ghost. picture them particles as fingers sticking up that were holding the dead gray wood or finish... Pressure damage comes in the form of gauges or splintered wood.

Some fur can fall off over a few week or they can deck brush it, or 3m pad it, or sand it. Depends on how much being left is tolerable.

The only way to remove it is sanding, or other methods i.e. osborn brush.

Correct. When you strip with HD, or any NaOH based stripper the wood may (often will) get little fuzzies (looks like little hairs) that you then need to buff or sand off. The reason is simple, the chemical breaks the bond between the wood and stripper, the fuzzies are the reaction of the wood letting go of the sealer.

Beth :groovy3: :seeya: