Sign in to follow this  
jeffex11

2007 vs 2008

Question

First of all last year was a god send for all of us who watch the weather to schedule staining. NO RAIN at all meant every job went on schedule. This year I have another week watching the radar screen and the skies to make a determination on staining. the # of jobs I have booked is down . However , the price of the jobs I land is way up. Gasoline, stain, plastic, are all up in price too from last year. the cleaner I used for 13 yrs is barely effective this year. We'll see how the season progresses. Hows things on your radar screen???

13 answers to this question

My radar says "HEAT WAVE!!"...and we are not at all adjusted to handle it..Too hot too quik.

Some prices on strippers and things went up on me but I raised prices and have landed some better jobs lately...However, can't say I can make it through next winter or through the dry holiday spells soon to come with much cussion.

I get to try the HD 80 on a deck tomorrow. I hope to return to just one wash to remove the old stain with this product. I'll post pictures if it doesn't rain up out or I forget the camera!

Like Kevin said, HOT HOT HOT out here in California. My prices went way up this year, so far lower closing rate on bids, but better chedder on the ones Im landing. No complaints, trying to bring in 6K p/week. Trying to juggle my advertising schedule, bids, and actually DOING the jobs has been pretty intense, but always gets this way in the beggining of the season. Having to postpone some stain jobs Friday with 100+ temps expected. Looking forward to a quick break and re-charge for next week. Going to organize and get on top of my game for next week! So far, 2008 better than 07'. Learning more every day. Working smarter, not harder.

WOW ! hot is not on our radar yet but I'm looking at spotty rain showers for the next 5 of 7 days. thank GOD they are wrong sooo often! Even an old dog like me has learned a few new tricks this year. I had a long time customer in the neighborhood who always wanted a discount and this year I told them that was not possible. I used to just up their old price a little and pop the job at my convienence. this year I told them I had to re measure and bid the job at current rates. I got a few comments about the new price but they booked it anyway. Turns out they HAD shopped prices on me before and I was the best and they like our work too. I hope to cut the hrs on the job with full strength HD 80 and up the money too. I purchased a new sprayer this year that I can dial down the pressure better on and save on wasted stain and get better spray control.

I get to try the HD 80 on a deck tomorrow. I hope to return to just one wash to remove the old stain with this product. I'll post pictures if it doesn't rain up out or I forget the camera!

Jeff, Call me or Rod if you have any questions while on the job. We have been HD-80 users for years.

Beth

hey!!! we're back the HD 80 works great!!! it works like my old stuff used to . The dwell time does the work for you. I will be ordering a bigger quantity next time.

Edited by jeffex11

2008 is higher prices, higher closing, and higher profit for me.

Weather is a bear but with woodtux Im much more comfortable staining a deck in the morning even if we get the afternoon rains like seem to be coming every day.

Finished a deck with cover but a huge staircase exposed to the elements. As soon as we stained the last step the sky just opened up. Went back to look at it yesterday and even with heavy rain less than 5 minutes after I backbrushed the last step the woodtux still looked great

the before pictures are on my wifes camera and they won't load but here are the afters. One is blurry . HD 80 cleaned off many layers of stain with one wash

post-2354-137772206857_thumb.jpg

post-2354-137772206863_thumb.jpg

so far 2008 has been a little confusing, I've had a lot of repeat customers, which I love easy $$, a lot more new customers, raised my prices and closing about 75-80% of my customers. The rain has been killing me this year, most people have been pushed back about a week, but other than that a great start to my season.

wind has been a factor for staining too. Luckily I got this deck stained in the am thurs before the 30 mph gusts. Only a light breeze in the am. All jobs had to be moved back a week from rain delays as well.

Nice job Jeff! :) I hope you have a floor shot that is not blurry....I hate it when that happens.

The wind has been nasty here too. Some days you just have to brush and pad the whole thing - don't dare pull the sprayer trigger even with masking. I hate that. And the rain - yuck....I think everyone is behind.

Beth :cup:

People have been understanding. Repeat customers have been through this one year or another. That is the 4th time over 12 yrs for that deck. When we did it the first time they had just gotten a puppy and it chooed up the gate at the top of the steps. they just repaired it and replaced some wood this year. The poor dog is old now and limping around. Just like me!!!