Sign in to follow this  
fireandrain

Staining Brushes and Pad Recomendations

Question

Ive been using the 10" and 18" stain pads which Sealer Store hooked me up with last year. Anyone care to share what kind of pads and brushes they have in their line up this year?

Maybe some of the pros in here can share what they consider "essentials" in their staining aresensal...I would really like to expand my horizons this year with regards to staining equipment. Thanks!

26 answers to this question

Not sure these pics of the Rubermade catalog can be read but maybe it help:

100_2425.jpg

100_2426.jpg

I show the micro applicators for acrylic floor finish as they may transfer directly to the wood staining. Again, probably depends on what it made of and whether they can handle spirits cleanup.

btw..for thin waterborne floor acrylics I really need to switch over to the microfiber. I feel like an old dinosaur or something in using mops. I hear there is no comparison between a synthetic rayon mop head or loop ended applicator and an 18" micro. I really did not care for my first experience with the loop ended version of applicator as it was too heavy and took a lot of product to get it going. Was sorta like using a wet dust mop basically. Lambs wool was always silly too if not using specialty finishes.

My janitorial supplier is pushing another brand on me though rather than rubbermade that supposedly levels and flows out product more predictably. Replacement pads are in $7 range and the handle/pad holder setup runs about $50. There is a rectangular bucket on wheels with a screen installed to push out excess product but unsure if it would handle solvent or not. On flat floors ya can just pour out a beed of product from container..can't do that with staining planks.