Sign in to follow this  
Palmetto Home and Deck

"Pressure Washing Bubba"

Question

I went out to a house the other day to give an estimate for pressure cleaning. While talking to the customer and answering some of the questions he had about our cleaning process, he stopped and asked me how long I had been doing this and what did I do before that. I told him I had some background in Civil Engineering and that I had been a bridge construction superintendent for twenty years but got tired of always living out of a suitcase and wanted to do something that would let me sleep in my own bed every night.

He stood there nodding his head and said "I knew your weren't one of those regular pressure washing bubbas that normally come out." I told him "no they were working in a neighborhood I drove through yesterday.

Later I started thinking about what he said. When he called, was he actually expecting a "Pressure Washing Bubba" to show up based on his experience? I also started wondering how many people that call us are expecting a "pressure washing bubba" to show up because they think that is all that is out there based on what they see or from the experiences they have had.

I often have people tell me that my estimates are higher that other estimates they have gotten, but they still want me to do the work because I seem to be more professional. I guess image and professionalism actually means something to a lot of people. My truck and trailer are professional lettered and I have recently started wearing uniforms with my company name and logo on them in an attempt to constantly be improving the image I put forth. In doing so I don't charge "pressure washing bubba" prices either.

I know there are people that will always be looking for the lowest price they can find and there will always be a "pressure washing bubba" there for them.

Personally, I take pride in pressure washing as a legitimate and professional occupation and am trying to do my part to improve our image. There are a lot of people wanting our services and are glad when they don't get a "pressure washing bubba".

Oh yes, I got the job.

3 answers to this question

Len -

This professional approach has worked very well for me too. Have the battle is showing up on time. I find that by being where you say you'll be, looking professional, and being an expert at what you do, eliminates a LOT of competition. Good post...

- John

This is the greatest thing ever! You can mop up all day long with the proper look and attitude. I pay a little extra for those people who shave, brush their teeth, keep their pants pulled up, and speak properly. Even if you can't immediately answer questions/solve problem tell them you will research it & get back with them. I'll get the job 9 out of 10 times even at a higher price.