Sign in to follow this  
buc21jrs3

Any suggestions for Sealer Removal?

Question

A client has a 16x18 Paver patio. She applied Quickrete Clear Wet Look Gloss Sealer for Masonry/Aggregate on a day above the 90 degree max application temp. It is H2O proof with a gloss finish. After she applied it, it started turning white so she tried to remove it with a cheap electric pressure washer and now it looks like white glue is stuck to her Pavers in patchy sections. I tried my surface cleaner then a high pressure wash with the wand and removed some but not enough to call the job complete. Any suggestions?

6 answers to this question

xylene

Thanks Kory; that wont harm the surface will it? Also, how would you recommend using it? Sorry for all the questions...this is new to me

Edited by buc21jrs3

Sounds like moisture underneith or finish lift/pop. In assuming this coating is the solventborne variety, the xylene will fix it or situate it for a proper recoat/touchup. It shouldn't remove it persay. Spray hefty dose early on a cool morning and it will melt the finish allowing moisture to escape or for it to bind to the surface. Parts that don't totally show as fixed should look fine by proper recoat of solventborne acrylic. Removing such solvent coatings are a job for paint removers and lacquer thinner, or grinding, or blasting. Regardless, whether using xylene to fix or harsher stuff to remove, be prepared to give it a good pressure wash to remove any imperfections that might crop up. Can save time by planning the wash for last usually as sometimes it just turns out like new with no need for wash.

Edited by MMI Enterprises