Sign in to follow this  
fireandrain

Whatrs it gonna take? Ughhhhh

Question

Im laughing because just last week I was bragging that I havent seen acyrilic out here in years. I knew it! SHould have knocked on wood... Was called out to a deck yesterday, looks like an acrylic. The HO said he had been having a huy come out EVERY year to "maintain', and re-coat this deck... Huh? Apparantly, he never stripped between apps of this finish.

The deck is unique in that the floorboards are built from 1x2 redwood. Looks more like an interior hardwood floor froma distance.

Anyways, Im needing to build a quote for this HO, and am nervous about the labor thats going to be involved in stripping this nasy stuff! Hopefully these pics will help with a dignosis... That'll teach me never to say never!

Edited by fireandrain

36 answers to this question

Thanks Rick. I'll look into adding those strippers to my tool belt for this one! No, I did not do any tests before bidding this job. I know. Last time I do that. I'm building my tester spray bottles this weekend. Sage advice.

Did a bit of research on the last guy to work this deck... He tends to use eco-friendly sealers... this one might possibly be that timber tech / timber pro stuff.... Was a nightmare on a job 2 yrs. ago. LIke Ive said before, I see so few of these acrylics, really need to put together a tester kit! Feel like I'm always scratching my head when building a proposal for these buggers! Any tips on putting together a tester kit? Chem resistant bottle w/ 8oz/gal ratio HD80 or F-18? Is it generally acceptable to perform this kind of test on a deck that hasnt been inked into contract yet?

Could be Envirolast Stain..some rave about it up the mountain.

Can someone remind me why I am not going to be sanding this deck instead of getting messy with strippers. Nothing against getting messy with strippers, especially the two from last night, but with little to NO cupping on these deck boards, and with all of the screws ALREADY sunk beneath the surface, why would I not just hit this thing with a drum sander?

You may still want to do that before its all said and done.

Sanding tons of acrylic off is no fun. Do you have one or would you have to rent? How much paper will you use up?. Will sanding remove acrylic stuck down between boards or in any porous or cracked spots? Is there rails that will prevent it reaching everything? Any verticle surfaces to be done or space between boards at all?..if so then ya have to wash and prep that wood anyways right?

Plan to do both chemical strip and at least a strong defelting if not sanding.. :)

My first big acrylic strip, I feel mildly excited. I must be nuts. Im wondering what the point in getting into hardcore SH/Boost stripping would be if I am, in all likelihood going to need to be doing some heavy defelting afterwards anyways. I hear you Kevin on the issues you raised regarding sanding not getting into cracks,etc.. Makes sense. These 1x2, yes, 1x2 redwood deck boards are pretty darn close together for the most part. MOst of it look like a friggin' interior hardwood floor! I wont have any verticals to contens with, just redwood handrail "caps" on top the steel verts. And, yeah, as you can ascertain from some of the photos, I wouldn't be able to get a big drum sander around those handrail footings. Best I can tell, should be fairly straight forward though with an orbital.

Advantages (as I see it) w/ a Sanding Approach vs. Stripping Regiment

1. Screws in floorboards are already sunk beneath the surface of the floor boards.

2. Floor boards show little to no cupping/warping, even.

3. I built plenty of margin in my bid for the extra cost of renting a drum sander, paper,etc..

Anyone else have an opinion on this? Thanks

Could be Envirolast Stain..some rave about it up the mountain.

Kevin, you called it! Just got a confirmation from previous deck guy that he put "Envirolast : butterscotch" on this one. Nice call.

Greg,

No finished pics yet. MOre stripping on front decks next week still. De-furred the other two decks yesterday, went well, looks SWEET! I cant wait to stain!