Sign in to follow this  
PressureX

Website input?

Question

37 answers to this question

Just a way of showing things in a scrollable window. Since he don't own that content how else better could he display on his site Beth? Isn't much different than say how the watercooler here looks..that is Java whereas other places used to use iframe for same purpose.

A link is a simple way to bridge the data and the source. You can always add your own text, then have an <a href=> tag that links some of the text to the page with further description.

Build it right, add your own text in your own words, and add links. I'm not sure you get any SEO benefit with iframes since the data is on another URL....

Beth

The advice given by Lance and Beth are very good. I suggest you ad your portrait to the home page, customers are more at ease when they can see whom they will be inviting into their home. You can also ad video to your site, use a video testimonial from your present client base and you will double the response to your marketing. Other things you can do is link your site to others businesses this will help you get more exposure and change the content on your site on a monthly basis so that it stays in the first page when people are doing search for your services.

Let people know that you use environmentally preferable cleaning products which are safe for every member of the family (use a picture of a child with a pet) and is non toxic so it will not harm their lawn, shrubs, etc you get the point. Be honest if you don't use environmentally preferred cleaning products then don't say that you do. Many cleaning professionals use natural or biodegradable products and then say that they use safe biodegradable cleaning products. Well everything in life is biodegradable at one time or another and on the subject of being natural, well so is cyanide but it will also kill you.

The only "bad" thing I found with iframes is that it wont resize with Firefox, but looks "decent" with internet explorer.

See and that is a hard thing to weigh. If you are an IE lover great...your potential customers may not be. We are Firefox users, and I know many who are. You need to look at the whole, and always test on multiple browsers. You can download and install them for free. Then go and look at your site through them. Ask yourself if it was at all frustrating for you? If it was, fix it. Simple rule of thumb, if a feature does NOT work in all the popular browsers - avoid it until the browser supports it. (it may in a future release)

Easy of use, load time, visual appeal, helpful content, these are the key to getting your site to work for you.

Beth

Yeah thats understandable. Is there however another method to do the same thing just without iframe? Something thats maybe more "browser friendly"?

CleanRx: You gave me some great ideas! Thank you!

Pat, True true what Beth said about cross browser friendlyness. Last I heard my site was not displaying correctly in Firefox. I don't care all that much about it as my page views are still mainly off IE users but I do plan to fix it at some point. Originally all was go and but something of object sizes, etc. snuck in making things unfriendly.

One thing on the use of the iframes is that I wouldn't recommend using if the place your displaying contains a very wide content that forces people to constantly scroll both horizantal and verticle. My example of the one that works swell enough for me is on my wood page... is the link to Wood Care Basics. As time goes I plan to add more Iframe as I can not deny that not only do others write or make good points but I also believe that success can be had by associating with the right places or folks.

I'm not sure you get any SEO benefit with iframes since the data is on another URL....

I agree.. never heard that it would benefit anyone in an SEO way except for the place being linked to. That said.. probably not a good idea to iframe to service competition or those under you. Edited by MMI Enterprises

Yeah thats understandable. Is there however another method to do the same thing just without iframe? Something thats maybe more "browser friendly"?

CleanRx: You gave me some great ideas! Thank you!

Not that I would suggest. Keep it simple, keep it clean, keep it informative, and easy to navigate. Lose the iframes, and get the notion out of your head that you need them.

That's my advice, for whatever it is worth... :)

Beth

Got an idea for the iframes Pat...Over time ya build up a bunch of videos on youtube. Have them seperated in folders specific to the type of work and then when ya iframe to the folder addy it becomes like your video gallery wthin your own site but your not hosting them. Or ya could do same with pics or with open forum posts where you have chatterboxed alot. :)