Sign in to follow this  
Elyse

Restoring Pau lope deck

Question

After pressure washing my Pau Lope (IPE) deck 2 years ago to clean off some mildew, I ended up with what I guess are called 'lap' marks because I was new at pressure washing and didn't use an even sweeping motion across the deck. How would I restore it to it's original uniform finish? Should I try pressure washing it again? Sand it? (It's too big to sand!!) I've always used Penofin to keep the nice dark color of the wood, but right now I just want to get rid of all those unsightly marks and have a uniform deck surface.

The deck is on the north side of the house, and I tend to get mildew build-up every year on the section closest to the house. How does one prevent mildew? If I use bleach to get rid of the mildew, it takes the color out of the finish. HELP!!!

2 answers to this question

Check your other post. No need to post the question twice

As for preventing mildew, you need to use a better stain fortified with more mildewcide....not penofin from what Ive heard stories about

Bleach destroys exterior wood. Ask Wolman, ESI, Cabot, PWNA, or other qualified sources.

Then there is the BDNA or something like that. These contractors have been using sodium hypochlorite on exterior wood for decades.

Hire a contractor.