Sign in to follow this  
mrmichaeljmoore

Cleaning a cedar privacy panel fence

I have a large cedar privacy panel fence that was installed about 3 years ago.

My wife and I have not done anything to the fence so far. We prefer the fence to naturally weather and gray.

But it has gotten a bit dirty over the last few years...

What should I use to merely clean the fence? We are not looking to remove the gray, merely just "freshen" it up and remove the mold/dirt/grime. Water? Dawn dish soap and water solution? Bleach? Or some other pro product?

I have access to a power washer as well. Thanks.

(I will post pics of the fence if that will help.)

Any cleaner you use to get rid of the mold is going to remove some of the gray wood and other dirt

If you pay a pretty penny for a fence and don't want to take care of it, the mold and dirt is what you're going to get

Thanks for the response, bigchaz......I think.

but I do want to take care of the fence....that's exactly why I posted a question on this forum.

I do not think choosing to let it gray naturally is not taking care of it. It is merely my preference. The fence is long and tall, and if I were to stain it, it would stand out.

My wife and prefer to have the fence blend into the landscape....and by letting it go gray accomplishes this.

I also posted a question regarding CretoWood in another thread. I am looking to see if CretoWood will help my fence last longer......

So I don't think it is fair to say I do not want to take care of it.

I also have a beautiful IPE deck that I stain annually. We prefer the stained look of IPE, not the silver patina.

There are many people that let their IPE decks go gray. I do not think that is not taking care of it. It is just their preference.

Jim --

We did talk about a year ago. And I never did anything to the fence. Unfortunately, the fence fell a little lower on the house "to do" list......

Back when we talked, I was considering maintaing the fence with Ready Seal.

But now the wife/boss, like I said in the orig post, has decided she doesn't want to stain it at all. She couldn't decide on a color she liked.

So, as the fence has weathered, she seems to prefer the look of the natural gray weathered look....an added plus to the natural look is it will be cheaper (no stain to buy) and easier (no staining).

In fact, we will be adding some additional fencing with an arbor and gate this year......so I am kinda glad she has decided on the natural gray look.

So, do you think I should clean it annually or just let it be?

Thanks for your help Jim.

mike